What to plant?

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
shaman

RE: What to plant?

Postby shaman » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:05 pm

Rye, huh?  That's a good idea.  I hadn't thought about that one.  I'm glad I asked the question.  Forage rape and kale?  Those sound like fun.

What about buckwheat?
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:26 am

Buckwheat is a short term crop that is best used for soil building. The saying is: "wet or dry, have it in by the 4th of July", so it may be a bit late. The first frost will kill it.
Cereal Rye on the other hand can be planted as late as Sept. It is the winter hardiest of all the grains germinating at 34 and growing at 38 degrees. It stores up nitrogen then releases it back into the soil when disked under. It also releases compounds that are harmful to the growth of weeds. Deer love it and it grows anywhere.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Stickman

Postby Stickman » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:53 pm

Why not try forage oats and a rape or turnip green blend. I use Whitetail Institute Pure Attraction in the fall in Alabama. I love the results.
If you can find it you can kill it.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:18 pm

I would plant some Rape Seed,Brassicas and Purple-Top Turnips.....throw in some Winter Wheat and your good for something to come up in the Spring for the Turkeys too!

BrookProperties

Postby BrookProperties » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:10 am

I really like Purple top turnips. They are very inexpensive, hardy and easy to plant. When you get your first freeze the deer will love the fructose that comes to the top of the plant.
Nick Rhodes
Wildlife Properties
Smith Center, KS
www.MyWildilfeProperty.com

Previous

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements