any idea what could have happened to this deer?

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
vambo991

RE: any idea what could have happened to this deer?

Postby vambo991 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:48 pm

I did see a young buck run into a temp electric fence one time... Hit real hard, but barely bothered the guy.

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:56 pm

It looks like the doe was attacked by something with claws, but it's hard to believe it got away if that was the case.
From those who much is given, much is expected

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:17 am

MHouck, what you are seeing is definitely shedding.  This type of heavy shedding is very common in Indiana this time of year.  We notice more on does than bucks so possibly nursing fawns might cause it to be more excessive.  We also notice that certain does tend to have more open bare spots than others.  In other words, certain does tend to shed more slowly and evenly while others seem to lose it all at once year after year.  I have one doe that each year will have twins and lose at least 50% in its hair in late July and August.  It looks like it has the mange but by October looks really good again.

Other than the hair loss the doe looks very healthy.  Hopefully she produced a buck or two for you this year.

Good shooting.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

Previous

Return to Photo Corner