Muzzle Loader advice

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
Lot to Learn

Muzzle Loader advice

Postby Lot to Learn » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:37 pm

Shotting a CVA kodiak 50 cal, started shooting powerbelts last year and like them. Problem I have with this gun is that once you fire twice you almost have to clean the barrel before you can get another round down. I have been using triple seven powder, thought about giving pioneer a try. Anyone have any thoughts on this or do I just need to clean it more often.    Also, I pushed a sabot down and out through the breech to see if the bullet was deformed and definetly looked mis-shaped to me. Anyone use a similiar set up that can recommend a starter? thanks.

JOEL

RE: Muzzle Loader advice

Postby JOEL » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:30 pm

i use powerbelts and most are copper,are you using those?try the aerotip style.i read that triple seven has to be swabbed after each shot.i m currently shooting pryodex and can shoot 5 rounds without having trouble getting the powerbelts seated,without cleaning i actually did 7 shots once ,but that was a long cleanup afterwards.the loader i use came with the gun so i guess it was from cva,by the way i shoot the wolf.Keep at it its a lot of fun and will etend your time in the field
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Lot to Learn

Postby Lot to Learn » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:46 pm

Thanks Joel, I will try the aero tip. I have used pyrodex same thing. The guys I shoot with don't have the problem I am having, they are shooting higher priced guns than me, but I don't see how that makes a difference.  One guy shoots a Knight, older gun he got when they 1st got hot while back. He does not clean his gun until the end of season. Not once. Before I get tons of replies of how dumb that is, not me. I wish I could get away with it. I am going to give pioneer a try. Just a thought, could the ramrod be the issue??

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:07 pm

I have a pursuit LT....I use pellets but can shoot at least 3 x's before it gets tough to seat a powerbelt...but how much powder are you using and what gr. bullet..? ..As far as mis shapened...are you using the right tipped starter ..or are you just firmily seeding the bullet or bouncing the ram rod?....old timers( no disrespect ..to anyone) use to bounce the ram rod inorder to check compaction....now a days that will mess up your burn with pellets and deform your bullet...just thoughts here....good luck 

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:49 pm

good points .i also use a a t- handle range rod to seat my rounds at the range.It's definitely harder without one.try that as well it should be able to screw into your ramrod if not get the longer "range rod ,which also makes cleanup easier
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:41 am

im shootin an older hawken style cva side lock. i use tc maxi ball pre lubed bullets and pyrodex. i can get several shots before seating becomes an isssue. im also a very strong proponent of bore butter. you can actually cure a barrel just like an iron skillet. but my knowledge/experience is with the older more traditional equip.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Lot to Learn

Postby Lot to Learn » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:05 am

Not bouncing, I am going to settle on one bullet and make sure the starter and ramrod match shape.  I do think that is big part of it. I do use a T-handle starter. I normally shoot 100 grain and 345 grain. I am going off memory so the grain may be 348.  Can't remember things that well anymore.   I have not tried the butter bore, may give that a try also. Thanks everyone.

allthingshunting

Postby allthingshunting » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:45 am

One thing you can look into, which i have had very good success with, is using the new primers that have less of a charge.  Not only does this result in less fouling...it also prevents the primer's charge from pushing the bullet up the barrel before the main charge goes off. (Helps accuracy)

I believe triple seven makes these 'special' primers (I believe they specify muzzleloader on the package), i am not at home to check my stock however.

I also make sure to use bullet lube when loading every shot.  Again, i think triple seven makes a lube.  This seems to help a lot.  Also, instead of the lube, you can use preconditioned cleaning patches between each shot.  I typically run one patch between each shot.  This will lube the barrel and remove the worst fouling that results.

With these two things...shooting a TC Omega, i can typically get 10 shots in a session with minimal effects to accuracy.

Panman1949

Postby Panman1949 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:35 pm

Bore Butter works!!  Have TC, Kodiak, Wolf and helps with all.  Good luck.

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:21 pm

Used 777 for first two years of muzzleloading... switched to Shockey's Gold last year... It is a little cleaner, but I still had to run a spit swab every other shot to get really good accuracy... maybe it's just my rifle (Apex), but I never got a good group with powerbelt... had to go with Hornady SST...but I've got it tweaked just right now. And definitely get cleanbore primers.

Next

Return to Guns and Ammo