broadheads

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
2tonyb

RE: BroadHeads

Postby 2tonyb » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:06 am

Used to use Thunderheads...never had a problem...switched to Muzzy 3 blades. I'm satisfied. Considered using a mechanical type, but I've heard some negatives that I don't want (true or not). Those negatives will not happen with a Muzzy.

tnt1960

Postby tnt1960 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:33 am

100 gr. 2-blade Magnus broadheads!
You can`t grill it till you kill it. For great sales/service, go to http://www.oneidabows.net/

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:29 pm

I've never had an issue with fixed blades flying erratically-knock on wood.

passin through

Postby passin through » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:40 pm

I voted mechanical because there was no "both" selection.  I shoot Rage 2 blade mechanical s with the compound and Wensel Woodsman 3 blade fixed with the recurve.
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

doe assassin

Postby doe assassin » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:10 pm

Magnus stingers work well for me, cut em like butter
I do my grocery shopping in the woods.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:16 pm

I have been using Rage's for a couple years now.  I prefer the 2 blade over the 3 blade...Mainly because it has a wider cutting diameter.  I used to shoot Thunderheads before, and was pretty hardcore about them...But after seeing the Rage and what it can do, my mind was made up pretty fast!
QDM!

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:36 am

I just got back into bowhunting last year after an 18 year hiatus. I was shooting the old Bear Razorheads in the past.
Fast forward to 2008 and I chose the Muzzy MX 3 100 grain head. I only punched one deer last year with it but he went less than 75 yards and left a blood trail that a blind man could follow. I'm not gonna fix it if it ain't broke.

MD Lease

broadheads

Postby MD Lease » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:12 am

I have used Muzzy broadheads all my life. However, my friend killed a very nice buck last year and when I saw the entry hole I was blown away. I asked him what broadheads he used and he told me Rage. I did some reasearch and found that they cut very well but the penetration is not the greatest. I was wondering what you guys think about Rage broadheads.

woodsalta

RE: broadheads

Postby woodsalta » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:15 am

MD Lease- I have been using the Rage broadheads for a couple of years and I have different outcomes after shooting a deer. The first deer I shot was at 15 yards with the triple blade Rage hit a branch and sliced across the deers stomach, it cut so well that the deer spilled it's guts and it traveled a short distance and collapsed. I was able to recover the deer in a short time. The second time I shot a deer, I hit it in the shoulder blade at 35 yards. It was near dusk and the deer jumped the string and I found the arrow laying on the ground where the deer was. There was hardly any penitration into the deer and barely a blood trail. JIMO, from my experiance the questions you brought up are both true, and talking to other bow hunters I know they said that with the Rage, it might be better to aim/shoot a bit further back in the rib cage than try to place it behind the shoulder. Placing the shot further back probably do more damage and leave a better blood trail to follow therefor not wounding the deer.
A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject.

scottflesher

RE: broadheads

Postby scottflesher » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:43 am

MD,
I too shoot 100 grain fixed Muzzy's and have for the past 10 years. I haven't had any issues with them planing and they are a very devistating broadhead. While I'm not looking to switch, I'm always open to trying new things (you don't know if you don't try right?). I've purchased a 3 pack of Rage expandables and am going to try them on a doe this year to see if I want to switch or stay with the Muzzys.
I would encourage you to do the same and see what your experience is. If you decide not to, i'll certainly post my thoughts on the matter after my season.

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting