laser dot bow grips

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
EatDeer

laser dot bow grips

Postby EatDeer » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:19 pm

Noticed a new laser dot sight bow grip the other day in a advertisment.  I know laser sights are illegal for hunting deer in IL, are they legal in your state? I guess they help you alot when practicing with your bow, but I can imagine how un-ethical hunters could mis-use them at night too.  I'd like to see some opinions on hunting deer with the new laser dot sights?
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

schlupis

RE: laser dot bow grips

Postby schlupis » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:39 pm

Laser dots have no place in Bowhunting ok for 3d shoots but not the deer woods. I think there will be a lot of people thinking they can shoot a lot farther than needed because they can see the dot on the animal. illigal in WI.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:13 am

I guess you sight them in for 30 yards, and aim high to shoot 40 yards, beyond that they are not very accurate. I guess in low light its really easy to sight the target, because you can use both eyes while you aim. 

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:47 am

i just saw that ad too .they would be illegal here in NY for hunting.
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:57 am

when i bought my bowtech last year i saw on their website they have a laser grip that would fit my bow, i thought that was pretty cool. Not $300 worth of cool, but cool. I personally don't think that lasers really give you much of an advantage. maybe you could squeeze out a few more minutes of shooting, but not much. from my experience in the woods, by the time it gets dark enough to use a laser, its also too dark to even see the deer. i have a light on my fiber optic bow sight and its useless. my pins stay light enough to see well beyond practical shooting light. it doesnt really matter if you can see the dot on the animal, if you cant see the animal, youre still not going to be able to get a shot. i think people have the idea that using a laser means you could hunt all night. well, without also using a spot light, youre not going to be able to see the animal enough to shoot, laser or not. plus, a laser is like a one pin sight that you cant adjust. i wouldnt even want to use one even if it was legal, my range would be decreased from only having one pin. if youre going to use a laser to try to hunt at night, you're probably going to do it whether it's legal or not, that's kind of what it comes down to in my eyes. i dont think it would be a huge deal to let guys use them, but i wouldn't use one even if we could, i just dont think they're practical. i have one on my AR-15, its cool, but pretty useless because i dont shoot at night, and the couple times i tried to, i had to have my target lit up or i couldnt see where to aim. the same thing would happen in the woods. and if youre taking a spot light along so you can see the deer to use your laser at night, you dont need a laser anymore. now the laser isnt even the issue, its the spot light, and i'm sure spot lighting for deer will never become a legal hunting method.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:14 am

I get what your saying about he bright light, but what if the poacher used a dim led head lamp? Wouldn't the laser be brighter than a dim flashlight? Or even car lights for that matter? Maybe your right it wouldnt be a issue, but something tells me some idiot is going to use it for poaching deer sooner or later.  Do you think the deer would spook from the red light anyway? I've heard that predators reflect infrared light from thier eyes at night while hunting. Still they must be outlawed for some reason?  

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:27 am

i read that you are supposed to used red light to walk to your stands in the dark,that it doesnt spook game.you guys are right about someone trying to use it for poaching eventually It might be good for 3-d shoots
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:08 am

I bought one. I bought it because it fit my bow and the shop was selling it for only $50 bucks.  I bought this for 2 reasons only. reason 1. The shop has a tv shoot where the lights go out and its hard to see my peep site. and reason 2. I wanted to try to do some coyote hunting with it.  I DO NOT PUT THIS ON THE BOW I TAKE DEER/BEAR/ELK HUNTING AND WILL NOT! (That is only asking for trouble.) It's a nice lazer and it can go for a long distance. However it's not all that great. When you have it on you can tell you are shaking. (And that's everytime.) It was really hard to sight in because of this. Another problem with them is you can only sight them in at one distence and must be at that distence everytime.  I finally got it all sighted in and shot it a few times, It was nice, but they really arent all they are cracked up to be.  I wouldnt recommend one just because you cant hunt with them and they are hard to sight in.  As of right now it is sitting in my basement in a box, I took it off my target bow last year.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Return to Archery and Bowhunting