Scent Control

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
mbcook

RE: Scent Control

Postby mbcook » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:59 am

I just dont know which way to go on scent control, I say this because i know a whitetail has a great sense of smell and it has been proven time and time again.....BUT i have taken many deer coming home from work covered in grease and sweaty, including my largest deer which came in 20 yards downwind when i could smell myself and knew the deer could too....... this will be my first season bow hunting in the past i have never really paid scent much attention because of what i just mentioned , but i am thinking about giving some of the scent control products a try this season i just hope im not wasting my money 

flaDAWG

Postby flaDAWG » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:20 am

Same hear mbcook...2 i have on wall fell from me git'n off werk...i Nstall fuel tanks...course hunt'n close to major road an have'n a couple company's that have a fuel supply and tractor's that their use to...Got cow's on property an ajoining property,try to step N cow dew dew B4 i git N stand...
Hope U all R dew'n finer than frawg hair!...Bsafe!

OSU bucks

Postby OSU bucks » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:09 am

Goose, thanks for the good info, will have to start spraying my truck seat down with sent killer, have never done that before. One question though, what kind of sent killer/water solution do you use on your bow and other equipment?

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:43 am

I either soak a rag in Scent Away for things like binos, bow, and range finder or dump some scent away right into the bath tub with water if I am gonna do a bunch of things like ropes, harnesses, etc -- anything thats submersible.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

tradbowhunter

Postby tradbowhunter » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:50 am

I love it when someone says "I don't believe in that scent elimination stuff, I just hunt with the wind in my face."  Where do you hunt where the wind is even remotely constant?  Where I hunt you get to your stand before light and the wind is coming out of the west, at first light the wind changes to the southwest, and an hour after light the wind is blowing straight north.  I ask you, how do you keep the wind in your face?

USNavyChiefRet

Postby USNavyChiefRet » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:00 pm

ORIGINAL: tradbowhunter

I love it when someone says "I don't believe in that scent elimination stuff, I just hunt with the wind in my face."  Where do you hunt where the wind is even remotely constant?  Where I hunt you get to your stand before light and the wind is coming out of the west, at first light the wind changes to the southwest, and an hour after light the wind is blowing straight north.  I ask you, how do you keep the wind in your face?

Well for one thing I try to look at the weather for the days I'm going to hunt, particularly which way the wind, if there is a wind, will be blowing. I do agree though. Not all of us have a stand for every wind direction to keep it in our favor. Those who wish to denigrate "scent control clothing" do so because they have tried it and it didn't work for them the way they thought it should. Many make mistakes when preparing to go afield for the day in regards to a scent elimination routine. I certainly have. They think "scent control" clothing should solve all their scent problems. It isn't a cure all. Deer have been given a very keen sense of smell and hearing. Their eyesight isn't the greatest. How many, when scouting a piece of property never take precautions to not educate the deer. Everytime you step foot into the woods you are educating deer in some manner. Sometimes more than others, depending on how many precautions you take to not leave your scent behind. You can't always "hunt the wind". You can try to keep it in your favor but as the old adage goes "the best laid plans of mice and men".

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:51 am

Heres a link to a good thread on using baking soda as part of your scent control regimen.
http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm. ... 79&mpage=1
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

crease

Postby crease » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:36 pm

As a heavy seater myself,I walk to my stand in as little as possible,I wear loose fitting under armour cold gear t shirt because it soaks up the sweat and that helps to keep you from getting cold.I find it better to wear as little as possible to the stand make sure everything is sprayed down with scent blocker and I also use their personal hygiene products a week before hunting starts and Iv'e noticed over the years that it all works for me, you'll have your hands full walkng to your stand but it works for me,also watch your caffiene intake within 24 hrs of hunting it will make me sweat more than usual,hope this helps.
Hunt ethically and hunt safe

Tony Scavo

Postby Tony Scavo » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:53 am

Yes... I totally agree with you.............I also follow a strict scent-free method before i hit the field ..

T>Scavo

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:16 am

Wouldnt go hunting without scent killer....it works that good!

I dont buy into all that clothing, except the rubber boots.

Carbon does work to filter the odors from your body as they leave, but spraying down all your clothing with scent killer does the same thing, making a sort of barrior that scent dosnt pass easily.

I know scent killer works for me, and if it dosnt for you...well you're probley not using it the correct way, there is a method to follow. Clothes wash, bar soap, and spray all your clothing several times, and let them dry.

Then before you go out hunting give your clothes a light spray, and most of the time your not going to get scented from 15 yards away....

[8D]
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices