When to spray grasses on newly planted plot.

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
bowman12

RE: When to spray grasses on newly planted plot.

Postby bowman12 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:41 am

I have the same problem. Clover plot about 1/2 acre, and the clover is only about 1-3 inches tall and the grass is about 6 inches. I'm wondering when to spray it.  Now when it's young or if it would be better to wait, let it all grow, mow it later on, let the grass start to sprout again, and then spray it. We use POAST and it's worked very well in the past.

Chasin Tail

Postby Chasin Tail » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:50 pm

Well I sprayed the food plot. Half of which is all clover and the other is clover and chicory. Attached are a couple of picture just after I sprayed. As you can see the grass is dominating. I used 8 oz. of Arrow 2EC, 16 oz. of Crop Oil, and 15 gallons of water on a sprayer on my ATV. I will post pictures of the progress. My understanding is it can take about 15 days to really see the effects. I wasn't able to try a non-ionic surfactant as working a full time job and operating a farming leaves little time this time of year.

Chasin Tail

Postby Chasin Tail » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:04 pm

Well it's 14 days since I sprayed for grass, and as promised here is an after picture. As you can see the grass is all but gone. I mowed at 5" 10 days after spraying to try and control some of the assorted broad-leaf's. We have been receiving a lot of rain and was concerned about erosion, but it was very minimal. I plan on letting it go not mowing any more than I have to. Once it gets thicker I will open it up for the deer to graze on. They are eating a lot of mulberries, corn, and beans now and leaving the food plot alone. PlotPro must be working.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:35 pm

Looks great.  I had the same problem and used Arrest from the W.I. 

Good hunting!
QDM!

Chasin Tail

Postby Chasin Tail » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:30 am

Just wanted to thank everyone for their help. The deer love the food plot, maybe too much, as the two acres doesn't seem to be enough. I guess I need to make this one bigger or create a second one.  Lots of pressure which the clover seems to be handling but its being kept very short. I know if this was cows on this plot I would move them to another pasture.

ajkrem22

Postby ajkrem22 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:19 am

Chasin Tail

Was thinking of your question yesterday and had been asking around. A freind of mine that plants numerous food plots each year has a great solution for you. He goes in ever year sprays round up, plows, and then discs his fields. But he waits about two weeks before he plants anything. This gives any of the new grasses and weeds (stuff you don't want) time to germinate and grow. He then goes back in and sprays with round up and waits about 10 more days. This virtually elimanates all of the weeds and other grass. He then plants his seed.

I have seen numerous fields he has planted and they are very clean. About the only thing growing is what he planted. Not sure if you have tried this but it really works well for him. I am actually in the process of planting my first food plot and I think I am going to try it this way.
Andy

Chasin Tail

Postby Chasin Tail » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:37 pm

Looking back on this project I think the real reason the grass didn't come up till later is moisture. I was reviewing my notes and noticed that there wasn't any rain for about 3 weeks prior to planting. I got in a big toot to plant when I saw rain in the forecast, and it was getting a bit late in the season. IF, IF I had some rain to get the seeds to germinate that I had just brought closer to the surface I would have sprayed again. Or if I had started earlier I think this would have been entirely different.  Anyway I am getting ready to prepare some more ground to expand the food plot. Can't wait till bow season... 

Previous

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements