County Wants to Tax Deer Stand

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Woods Walker

RE: County Wants to Tax Deer Stand

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:18 am

ORIGINAL: mightyfofaad

ORIGINAL: Dan Schmidt

Minnesota county claims man's deer stand is a "permanent structure," thus they want to make him pay property tax on it!

http://tinyurl.com/2fwfcy5

What do you think?

Well, if Minnesotans can call Al Franken a senator, it's not much of a stretch to call a deer stand a permanent structure.

True that.....but as someone from Illinois, I'll raise you one, Rod "It's Flippin' Golden" Blagojevich to your Stuart Smalley!!! [:D]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:59 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

True that.....but as someone from Illinois, I'll raise you one, Rod "It's Flippin' Golden" Blagojevich to your Stuart Smalley!!! [:D]

... and I'll raise you a NYS governor (Eliot Spitzer) who spent $5,000 a night on call girls when he made a career out of publically prosecuting them as Attorney General.

The deer stand, which is 8 feet by 16 feet, has vinyl siding and sits 10 feet in the air on telephone poles. It also has windows, stairs leading up to it, and a shooting deck.

But seriously, look at the description of that "stand." That would be considered a permanent structure in any other county in the country. The actual cost or value (labor & materials) has to be at least $4,000 to $6,000. There is no way he submitted plans for that structure to the building dept. & they said, "no problem", you don't need a permit.

He called up & asked if he needed a permit to put up a deer stand, & the person on the other end of the phone was picturing a $60 tree stand ... like everyone of us when we first read the headline here.

Pay the $40 & thank God that you have the resources to own hunting land & can afford to build that "stand" in the first place. A permanent structure is a permanent structure ... it's not exempt just because it's your hobby.
[8D]

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:38 am

HA!!!! Well in Illinois, we are maybe a day away from the verdict that will cause Blago to go to jail, thereby creating the reality of THE LAST TWO governors of Illinois IN JAIL AT THE SAME TIME!!!

Top THAT! [:D]

Did I just run the table, or what! [;)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:44 am

ORIGINAL: Dan Schmidt

Minnesota county claims man's deer stand is a "permanent structure," thus they want to make him pay property tax on it!

http://tinyurl.com/2fwfcy5

What do you think?

It doesn't surprise me. I suspect the county is looking at other structures to see if they can add to the tax base. But I agree with the landowner. Besides, if it's built in a tree it can't be a permanent structure.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:55 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

HA!!!! Well in Illinois, we are maybe a day away from the verdict that will cause Blago to go to jail, thereby creating the reality of THE LAST TWO governors of Illinois IN JAIL AT THE SAME TIME!!!

Top THAT! [:D]

Did I just run the table, or what! [;)]

I can, but this isn't the place for it.
Everyday Hunter
Besides, if it's built in a tree it can't be a permanent structure.

The photo you see with the article is not the stand in question. The stand in question (see post #12) is a small house on 4 telephone poles. That ain't temporary. [8D]

ggottschalk

Postby ggottschalk » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:59 am

Doesn't a permanent structure allow you to be there at night? My first question would be: Is it now legal to shine and shoot?

I'm not sure I have heard anything more ridiculous than that!

fairchasehunter

Postby fairchasehunter » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:34 am

With the decline in the number of hunters and the increase in deer populations, if they were smart (LOL), they would give deer hunters a tax credit for every legal deer harvested. The extra meat could be used to feed the poor through programs like hunters for the hungry. Insurance companies would be happier too.  This is what you call a win, win win scenario. Like I said if they were smart.  

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:03 am

[size="4"]The photo you see with the article is not the stand in question. The stand in question (see post #12) is a small house on 4 telephone poles. That ain't temporary.[/size] [8D]

So, maybe they see it as a pole building.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:42 am

Well, I guess there must be something seriously wrong with me ... I'm concerned that the current federal government has raised the national debt to a point where it is going to cost every man, woman & child in this country an additional $37,000 in future taxes ... but a lot of you are outraged that some well to do land owner is going to have to pay an additional 77 cents a week for an elaborate doll house. Guess I'm just screwy! I'm gonna lay down now & take a nap. [8D]

Challenger

Postby Challenger » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:57 am

Well, I guess there must be something seriously wrong with me ... I'm concerned that the current federal government has raised the national debt to a point where it is going to cost every man, woman & child in this country an additional $37,000 in future taxes ... but a lot of you are outraged that some well to do land owner is going to have to pay an additional 77 cents a week for an elaborate doll house. Guess I'm just screwy! I'm gonna lay down now & take a nap. [8D]

E X C U S E - M E ! You seem to forget that 1/2 of the people in this country pay no federal tax at all.

So it's going to cost the rest of us a lot more than $37,000. Duh.
[:@]
There are none so blind as those who will not see. Jonathan Swift, 1738

NRA Life Member

PreviousNext

Return to Breaking News