Another Poaching Story

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
retiredsailor

Another Poaching Story

Postby retiredsailor » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:02 pm

Short article below was found in a local West Virginia newspaper. I do hope that these two
young hoodlums have learned a lesson, but I would guess not.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martinsburg Journal July 30
3:43 p.m.: Illegal W.Va. deer hunt results in fines, fees
AURORA (AP) - Two people convicted of illegally spotlighting and killing a deer in Preston County will pay more than $2,400 in fines, court costs and wildlife-replacement costs under a new state law.

The Division of Natural Resources says the convictions of 22-year-old Mike Chapman of Aurora and an unidentified Tucker County juvenile are the first since the law went into effect in June.

Both were also convicted in Preston County Magistrate Court of carrying a loaded firearm.

Previously, the state could collect just $200 on deer killed illegally, regardless of antler size.

Now, those convicted must also pay an amount that varies with the width of the rack - from $1,000 to $2,500.

The deer killed in Aurora had antlers in velvet measuring nearly 16 inches wide.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This deer could possibly have made some hunter very happy this fall; alas, these things happen, but I'm always pleased to learn of an arrest and conviction. I am also glad that
WV just recently (June 2010) implemented a new law with some stiffer penalty for this sort of thing.

fasteddie

RE: Another Poaching Story

Postby fasteddie » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:46 pm

They need to arrest more of these Dirt Bags and give them some stiff penalties !
Semper Fi !

Bob Olsen

RE: Another Poaching Story

Postby Bob Olsen » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:39 am

They should have been nailed for hunting after hours, not wearing hunter orange, maybe hunting too close (on) the road. If they had done this in Pike County, I guarantee the C.P.O. would have gone to West Virginia to bring them back. They should loose their hunting and fishing priveliges for a long time. I'm curious about their parent's, where were they? Was the spot light, weapon, and car confiscated? It would have been in Illinois. Poaching is weak!!! 

Return to Breaking News