guys welcome to southern Illinois
here is my recommendations, first off here is a list of spots
http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt/hu ... /index.htm
here is some of the things I would do
- contact Park Ranger in the area you planning on hunting, he will have an idea on what areas get the most activity and where you might find the best place.
- Ask around in sites like this, I generally do a couple of scouting reports and they will provide some insight to how the conditions are down here
- keep asking questions on the forums for someone hunting in your area
- make some prescouting trips, must be on weekend as you will run into people (talk to them and ask what they think). maybe a week or two before and start looking for spots in the area you want to hunt. keep your eyes open for signs of others in the area. I would leave orange tags in areas I was planning to hunt. helps others see where you are planning.
-the further you are away from the road the better you will be at avoiding people
- hunting weekdays to get a feel for things then try a weekend
- keep alternate plans. dont wreck your trip if something happens think plan A and plan B.
usually by the second year you can have a flawless time
PS: Corn is getting cut fast and furious, we saw alot of fields cut this weekend, it should be all out by season start. bugs have been terrible (ticks and chiggers, use your defense of choice). Deer have been in the corn in the morning and beans in the evening. I am already seeing good groups. persimmons are so so I havent checked on acorns