County Wants to Tax Deer Stand

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
kribbz

RE: County Wants to Tax Deer Stand

Postby kribbz » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:49 am

c'mon, whats next?  Taxing your kids treehouse???

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:01 am

Hey now! You're from Illinois. Don't give Pat Quinn any ideas!!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

berudd

Postby berudd » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:48 am

ORIGINAL: ggottschalk

Doesn't a permanent structure allow you to be there at night? My first question would be: Is it now legal to shine and shoot?

I'm not sure I have heard anything more ridiculous than that!

How does being there at night equate to shooting at night?  I am sure that it is completely legal for him to spend the night there.  Nothing about that implies he will be shooting at night.  You spend the night in your house but you can jacklight deer in the back yard, right?

I wonder if anyone other than mightyfofaad read past the headline of this article.  8x16.  That is a garage or at least a shed.  If you put it at ground level in your back yard you would need permits and probably have to pay taxes on it.  Vinyl siding, windows stairs and a (shooting) deck.  And he did say they have spent the night in it.  I've seen houses here in NC that were about this size and probably not as well built as this 'deer stand'.  It is a small cabin on stilts that he happens to shoot out of.  This is not a deer stand.  I used to hunt a farm where we could have shot deer from the porch of the house just about every night.  Does that mean that the house was a deer stand?  Well, no, that's just stupid.

Temporary?  Well in as much as with enough heavy equipment my house is temporary.  If he we wants me to buy the tempory thing then he needs to trot in there and pack that thing out on his back this afternoon.  Heck, I'd be statisfied if he just picked it up by hand and sat it in the back of a pick up and drove out. But he's going to need a crane of some sort to lift it off the poles and then set in on a flatbed of some sort.  My temporary stand weight about 20 lbs and has backpack straps.

Suck it up and pay the 40 bucks or tear it down.  Either way, man up and stop whining.

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:47 am

ORIGINAL: berudd

Doesn't a permanent structure allow you to be there at night? My first question would be: Is it now legal to shine and shoot?

How does being there at night equate to shooting at night?  I am sure that it is completely legal for him to spend the night there.  Nothing about that implies he will be shooting at night.  You spend the night in your house but you can jacklight deer in the back yard, right?

Well, theoretically, if you happened to be out on the back porch at night, and you just happened to be cleaning your .30-06 and suddenly you heard a strange noise coming from the bushes, and you just happened to have your 5 million candlepower spot light with you, and you saw this nasty looking 12 pointer, who was making threatening gestures towards you, and you felt threatened with imminent danger of being attacked ... I think you could claim self defense in dispatching this wild beast. [sm=rolleyes.gif]

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:05 am

I would like to know what the local ordinances for him are.....here in our area you are allowed to construct an out building as long as it is  100 square ft and under...so if he had say stuck with a 10x10...or 8x12...here he'd be OK....ppl get Amish built out buildings delivered all the time ...in fact many have several such builds and use them as a sorta of collection of garages...and pay no tax.... 

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:41 am

I have come up with a solution!!!

After erecting your deer stand/shooting house, go find a old lawn mower and snatch the wheels off it!!

Take and nail them to the bottom of your stand!!!!

Walla... Deer stand mobile home..

think it might work???? lol

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:56 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

Indiana? HA! How many former governors do YOU have doing time right now? Compared to The Land Of Corruption, Indiana is pristine! [;)]

And maybe to you it seems bad, but I know of a half dozen people who moved from Illinois to Indiana while still working there because of the lesser taxes, and also of a business who did the same thing.

I tell you what, I'll trade you Blago for the Indiana poltician of your choice! [:D]

As usual you do have a point.[:D]

But Indiana loves nothing more then to find another reason to tax you for something.[:@]

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:38 am

ORIGINAL: Gulfcapt

I have come up with a solution!!!

After erecting your deer stand/shooting house, go find a old lawn mower and snatch the wheels off it!!

Take and nail them to the bottom of your stand!!!!

Walla... Deer stand mobile home..

think it might work???? lol

How bout this?

berudd

Postby berudd » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:47 am

That thar rerqars VEE-hicle tax!

ORIGINAL: mightyfofaad

How bout this?

[/quote]

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:40 pm

ORIGINAL: berudd

I wonder if anyone other than mightyfofaad read past the headline of this article.  8x16.  That is a garage or at least a shed.  If you put it at ground level in your back yard you would need permits and probably have to pay taxes on it.  Vinyl siding, windows stairs and a (shooting) deck.  And he did say they have spent the night in it.  I've seen houses here in NC that were about this size and probably not as well built as this 'deer stand'.  It is a small cabin on stilts that he happens to shoot out of.  This is not a deer stand.  I used to hunt a farm where we could have shot deer from the porch of the house just about every night.  Does that mean that the house was a deer stand?  Well, no, that's just stupid.

Temporary?  Well in as much as with enough heavy equipment my house is temporary.  If he we wants me to buy the tempory thing then he needs to trot in there and pack that thing out on his back this afternoon.  Heck, I'd be statisfied if he just picked it up by hand and sat it in the back of a pick up and drove out. But he's going to need a crane of some sort to lift it off the poles and then set in on a flatbed of some sort.  My temporary stand weight about 20 lbs and has backpack straps.

Suck it up and pay the 40 bucks or tear it down.  Either way, man up and stop whining.

Agreed

PreviousNext

Return to Breaking News