Climber Stand Challenged

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
DeerAddict

Climber Stand Challenged

Postby DeerAddict » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:00 am

These might seem like stupid questions to some but how do climber tree stands work??? If there are branches on the tree, how do you get past them? Do you just cut them off? I'm not really sure, but i'm thinking I might get one. I've been hunting in ladder stands all my life and never used anything different.

Doesnt it get annoying climbing up and down so many times though??? And if there's a big branch in the way, are you just forced to chop it down??? Thanks

KYdeer88

RE: Climber Stand Challenged

Postby KYdeer88 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:36 pm

Climbing stands are extremely handy in many situations. I hunt out of ladder stands and hang on stands, but the biggest advantage I can think of with a climbing stand is its mobility. True, ladder stands and homemade stands are very comfortable but if the wind shifts mid day you can't just pick up and move it in a matter of minutes. As far as branches are concerned I carry a folding saw and a pair of pruners when I hunt. I hate cutting branches at 4 in the morning so I scout and if I find a tree I want to hunt that has branches I will go and hunt that spot mid day or evening for the first time so I can cut branches when I can see what I'm doing. As far as big branches are concerned…well there are some that I'll just leave. If it's a good spot and I can only get 12 feet high so be it. I actually prefer to be up in the branches to help break up my outline and give me a spot to hang my pack etc.. If I was in the market for a climber I would look at summits. They are light to pack, cumpfy, affordable, and have a good bite when climbing. If I was totally new to climbers I would get a stand that was the type that was a sit and stand climber. The stands that are open in the front are great for bow hunting, but the pull up style of climbing is a little harder. The razor ss by summit is a good mix between the two. I'm not a summit rep; I've just been pleased with their products.

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:17 am

not a silly question at all. First off I would recommend trying to find a poplar tree to climb. Being that your from Indiana, I would imagine your timber is similar to Ohio. Poplar trees are soft bark and the teeth of the climbers bite in good. Plus soft bark makes climbing the tree a quieter task. Poplars also have very few limbs (most are up high) so you don't need to bother with cutting limbs too often.
The main differences with climbers and fixed (from my experience) is the comfort and convienience. My summitt is more comfortable than any fixed stand I've ever sat in. I can stay in my climber all day and minimize movement, due to the added comfort. The largest negative is by the time you reach your tree, the work has just begun. With fixed stands, once you reach the tree, you zip right up the ladder/screw in steps, etc. With a climber you have the task of shimmying up the tree. I highly recommend a summitt climber. It will be the best $200-$250 you'll ever spend.

IsitInTREES

Postby IsitInTREES » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:24 pm

Not a bad question.

Cut the little branches down and go as high as you can.
Don't focus on the destination, Enjoy the Journey

DeerAddict

Postby DeerAddict » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:42 am

How do you get your bow/gun up once you climb all the way up the tree???

Do you just leave the stand at the bottom of the tree once your done with it? Or do you take it home till the next hunt.? Thanks

Ifishandhunt

Postby Ifishandhunt » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:07 am

Good questions. I bought a climber late last year but have not used it yet. I've never used a climber before but hope to put this one to use this year. Honestly after I purchased mine, I was a little nervous about using after friends who hunt told me the climbers are dangerous. I usually hunt alone because the property I hunt is privately owned and the owner will not allow me to bring a friend. I am lucky they let me hunt it at all. Anyway, I was told that if the trees are wet and the bark is somewhat smooth, DO NOT use the climber or you risk sliding down the tree or the bottom part of the climber falling and you being left hanging. I was also told it is also possible for the bottom part of the climber to fall even if the tree is not wet just because it was not firmly pressed into the tree or you take your weight off it. Obviously hunting alone, the idea of the stand falling out scares me becuase we know that if you hang in a tree too long, it could lead to a tramatic death as the blood circulation is cut off by the safety harness.  

But with that said, I know lots of other guys who swear by the climbers. So pretty soon I will be practicing with my climber. Imagine the potential to freely move to better areas during the year as you study the deer movement. I also plan on hunting some public land with friends this year so I will definitley have the climber.

Mastertangler

Postby Mastertangler » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:36 am

I've been hunting with a climber my whole life...we only have two spots that a permanent stand works. I love the climber for the comfort of being able to adjust it for my 6'3" frame. Most permanents aren't comfortable for me.

There are some tricks to each and every style. My recommendation, go out, find a nice straight tree with no branches, and climb it a few times. Try different size trees as well as you'll learn that as the tree gets smaller, the stand leans more. You have to attach it to the tree in a manner so it'll end up level at the top. That often means it's angled at the bottom of the tree when you start.

I love the climber for the surprise factor. It lets you play the wind in your favor. It also isn't there for the deer to get used to. The first time you climb each location is your best chance to get a deer. We've proven this on a buddies land....he's got all ladder stands and we can climb a tree 40yds away and as the deer go around his permanents, they end up right under our climbers without knowing we're there.

Mastertangler

Postby Mastertangler » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:15 am

Oh...and for getting your bow up....you hang your pull rope from the stand as you climb up, and once settled pull your bow up. Pulling my bow up is basically the last thing I do once I'm fully settled in.
Personally...I have a 20' rope and if I'm climbing and the rope pulls tight, I know I'm high enough as that's the height I try to practice from as well. At times I've sat as low as 10-12' off the ground and it's worked too. Just depends on the conditions.

plinker22

Postby plinker22 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:40 pm

Great question.  The best way to learn to use a climber is by using one.  Just use it a few feet up and down.  Practice putting it on the tree.  Practice doing it quietly.  Practice climbing, then practice climbing quietly.  I pick trees to climb that do not have any limbs up to the level I want to hunt.  That being said, I do take a small (7") folding saw for that small limb or two.  

Again, practice climbing just like you practice with your bow.  BTW, I have been successful from as little as 8 feet off the ground, but 20' to 25' is about the average level I hunt. 

Lastly, I would suggest you look at the Tree Walker Tree Stands.  I have used this stand for the last 5 years and love it.  This stand is very comfortable, absolutely quiet while climbing and hunting, light weight (mine is 17 lbs), and grips the tree better than any stand I have ever seen.  I can climb a wet birch or sycamore tree and be 100% confident.  Check them out at www.treewalkertreestand.com

Whatever you choose:  be safe, wear a SAFETY HARNESS and have fun!   Enjoy your new world from the tree tops.
We do it all to...
Gut, Gag, Tag & Drag!

fairchasehunter

Postby fairchasehunter » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:28 am

Me and my climber have a special relationship. I know all its parts and know exactly how it works and can put it on the tree quietly in the dark with no light. I scout the trees before I hunt but wait till that morning to put my stand on the tree. I also know how high I can climb to be perfect for visibility and concealment. I use a tack to measure the spot. When my nose hits that tack, I'm good. I use a backpacking system so I have no trouble transporting the stand.  It's light enough to carry for a mile or more but confortable for a 4 hour sit. I cut the limbs before the hunt but carry a good folding saw just in case. I hate using a rope to pull up my stuff so I climb with everything. I know those who disagree with me but I know what works for me. I do climb with my safety belt attached at all times. I am safe. I like two trees next to each other for concealment. It doesn't look like a blob to a deer when you are between two trees. Also, 25 feet is alot better than 15 when you are talking about scent and concealment. Above 25 feet I start feeling woosy if you know what I mean. Get to know your climber.  You will fall in love with it and be more successful keeping the deer guessing.

Next

Return to Tree Stands