Natural Ground Blinds

Share your tips and techniques on these great, but often times lost methods of hunting.
kykevin

Natural Ground Blinds

Postby kykevin » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:27 pm

Anyone out the like to make "natural" ground blinds? I usually make one when I am clearing out brush and acrub trees if there is a suitable location close by.
-=It's not a passion. It's an obsession.=--

KYdeer88

RE: Natural Ground Blinds

Postby KYdeer88 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:33 pm

I have made blinds out of cedar limbs and brush. I make them a little taller in the fall for deer than I would in the spring for turkeys b/c I like to sit on a little pack stool instead of on the ground like turkey hunting. I would have to say one of the best natural blinds I have used was a stand of cat tails growing in a moist spot in the middle of a field. I just walked a narrow path into the middle and walked some down for a place to set my stool and broke reeds in 2 directions to shoot out. The ground was a little wet but I wear rubber boots and the stool didnt sink much after I got it in place. It was a great spot, just no deer in bow range that night. I think blow downs are also good spots esp if they are fresh and havent lost their leaves yet.. >>------>

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:19 am

I do all the time. I always carry a hand pruner and some black cable ties in my fanny pack when I hunt and scout. If I see a good natural spot near a game trail or funnel then I spend a few minutes and make a blind.

It's really not a blind in what most people would define it as, it's more like taking what is already a "blind" (like a deadfall tree) and enhancing it to conceal even more of my shape. I gound hunt in a ghillie suit, and many of my hunts are just me stillhunting from one blind to another over the course of a day. Many times all I need to do is just cut a few branches and fasten them with the cable ties to break up the background just a bit and I'm good.

Yes, it's spartan, and definately not state of the art, but in all honesty I do NOT miss hauling around all that extra gear and clothing I used to be weighed down with before I evolved from the trees! [;)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

bowhuntr15

Postby bowhuntr15 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:40 am

I'd tried the ground thing in the past and no luck.  Tried a ground blind (got stolen), and called it quits.  However..., last year, I was not able to reach my stand due to deer movement, enhanced a NATURAL spot and whack - deer down.  IMO, I think I was altering the natural setting too much.  Since my success last year...., I've arrowed two coyotes and a nice gobbler off natural ground blinds.  I'll still use my stands..., but only where I reaaallllyy need to.  Natural Ground "blinding" it is my newly found way to go - for me.  Good luck!!!! 
"Perseverance, Practice, Integrity"

westmibow

Postby westmibow » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:57 am

I personally have done more hunting out of ground blinds than tree stands. Its really only been a couple years that I have been utilizing tree stands. I feel a lot of hunters will over look a spot simply because there is no trees suitable for a stand and that is a big mistake and maybe a miss opportunity. I too always have a hand saw in my pack and a pack seat. You can literally have a blind made in 5-10 minutes with minimal noise. Just make it high enough to conceal your movement and always remember the wind. You are now in the deer's level and he/she will see and smell you twice as easy. I personally like to make sure I have a back ground that is darker and very broken up, ie pines, stump, terrain, etc. If done right it can be very rewarding and very up close and personal way to hunt.

jonboy1984

Postby jonboy1984 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:56 pm

I have hunted out of grounds blinds on public land. I just pile up a bunch of dead branches , sticks and grass.  I have gotten really close to deer a few times. Its really cool having a deer walk past you at 5 yards. My blinds are made out of all natural material. Most of the blinds i have out there on the public land i made in the spring and summer months.  But I think i wanna start doing more treestand hunting this year because my blinds are thick and tall and i just can't see very well out of them. But then again the deer can't see me either unless i stand up and make movements.

prohunter

Postby prohunter » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:35 pm

When i started hunting in mich in 1979,i can recall that no treestands could be used for guns or smoke poles ,so the ground is all we had ! unless you were bow hunting. So hunting from is ground is still one of my favorite ways to kill deer, but now i use a blind to aid in scent control, but i still brush it in really good with things around my spot , just make sure that u have good shooting lanes. I allways try to put myself in a place where i can watch a natural funnel , or where the woods neck down or get smaller, or where the deer trails come together. Do these things and u will tag out!!!
take your kids hunting and you wont have to hunt your kids.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:47 pm

I have hunted in everything from pruned cedars along a fenceline to stacked haybales. They have their advantages in that you don't need to (and shouldn't) make too much alteration to them. The bales provided a great rest for my rifle and the cedars restricted some movement, but added a lot of cover & shade where none existed otherwise. I have also used a culvert ditch as a blind that allowed me to take a decent buck that liked to run the field edge along the drainage.

It was not natural, but I hunted out of a junk car one time because the deer were used to it and didn't expect anybody to be in there. Same with barns & sheds.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

prohunter

Postby prohunter » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:02 pm

I am to fat to get in ditch, but i just might roll my old truck over the hill and use it to hunt out of.it would have a nice seat.it beats a lawn chair! jtb
take your kids hunting and you wont have to hunt your kids.

sv2112

Postby sv2112 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:07 am

I buy burlap at the local garden center that's 3' x 12' at around $3.00

I spray paint it "camo" with black, green, brown etc.

I tie a length of jute twine between two trees or sturdy bushes and hang the burlap on it. I then hang miscellaneous tree branches and "natural stuff" on it and have gotten 3 doe in the last few weeks with it.

I took this avenue after some junkhead stole my expensive tree stands on Thanksgiving Day.

Best Life Insurance | Buy Life Insurance

Next

Return to Ground Hunting, Still Hunting, and Stalking