Slug choice

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
webfoot

Slug choice

Postby webfoot » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:45 am

Just joined on to this forum and I look forward to all the available info.

I've been rifle hunting for years, but now have access to some property that is really thick and I plan to use a Rem 870 with a 20" fully rifled slug barrel. I'm hoping somone can save me some cash by suggesting a slug that they have used with accurate results from this or similar set-up.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Dan Salmon

RE: Slug choice

Postby Dan Salmon » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:08 am

Just buy the regular old foster style slugs.  Inside of 50 yards they are usually as accurate as any other slug and will put a world of hurt on a deer.  

webfoot

Postby webfoot » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:37 am

Thanks Dan. Longest shot presented will be ~75 yds, so the foster slug should do the job. Just have to get out and send some downrange to the patterning board!

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:15 am

When I was slug hunting in Southeastern Minnesota years ago, the Winchester Foster slugs were what shot best for me.  And at $3 - $4 a box of five, were way cheaper that the $10- $15 a box of five super sabots.  Imagine if centerfire rifle shells cost as much!?

berudd

Postby berudd » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:17 am

I didn't think you were supposed to use Foster type slugs in a fully rifled barrel. But I don't have any experience with them so it just what I have heard. Would like to know more as I may try to use 12 ga slugs this season.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:28 am

Sure you can shoot Foster slugs in rifled barrels (I think there is a Brenneke slug that advises against it, but that's the exception to the rule.)  I was getting very good groups at 75 yards with foster slugs in a fully rifled Winchester 1300 12 gauge.

Relentless

Postby Relentless » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:24 am

I was under the impression that the rifling on the "Foster" style was the opposite of the rifling in a rifled barrel.  I could be wrong though.  I shoot 2-3/4" Lightfields and am deadly accurate out to 100 yards.  I have never attempted sighting in any farther than that.  They are not the cheapest slugs but, they are certianly not the most expensive either.  If you can get sighted in with a box or two you should only need one slug per deer after that.  I think the last ones I bought were about $8-9 a box.
Bucks and does alike, if I ever lose the rush leading up to and after a kill, I will hang it up. Knowing me, that will never happen.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:04 am

A Foster slug, invented by Karl Foster in 1931, is a type of shotgun slug designed to be fired through a smoothbore shotgun barrel. The standard American domestic shotgun slug, they are sometimes referred to as "American slugs" to differentiate them from the standard "European slug" design popularized by Brenneke.
The defining characteristic of the Foster slug is the deep hollow in the rear, which places the center of mass very near the tip of the slug, much like a shuttlecock or a pellet from an airgun. If the slug begins to tumble in flight, drag will tend to push the slug back into straight flight. This gives the Foster slug stability and allows for accurate shooting through smoothbore barrels out to ranges of about 75 yards (69 m). Most modern Foster slugs also have "rifling", which consists of thin fins on the outside of the slug. Contrary to popular belief, these fins actually impart no spin onto the slug as it travels through the air. The actual purpose of the fins is to minimize the friction on both the barrel and projectile and allow the slug to safely be swaged down when fired through a choke, although accuracy will suffer and choke wear will be progressively accelerated when fired through any choke gauge tighter than open.
It is also possible to fire Foster slugs through rifled slug barrels, though lead fouling (build-up in the rifle grooves) can be a problem. Accuracy is otherwise not appreciably affected in standard shotgun riflings.

That's from wikipedia, for what it's worth.  I've even had luck with Brenneke slugs getting a little better accuracy with a rifled slug barrel.

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:18 am

Webfoot,

I also use a rem 870 canlever 23" fully rifled, last year I spent some money on sabots and went to the range. Too much money to say the least...lol. Anyway Out of my gun the lightfield 2 3/4 546 grains shot the best groups. They also had the most recoil, 2nd choice were the winchester partition  golds 385 grain. Second most recoil out of 6 diffent brands.

Under 1600 fps work well out of the remington riffling, I believe its 1/35 twist riffling taking longer to leave the barrel. Anyway thats what the gunsmith told me.

Give the Lightfields a try, and let me know how thing turn out for you.

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:51 pm

I've had the exact same results with an 870. Best groups were with Lightfield EXT, next best with Winchester Partitions, nothing else would group at all. (Tried Hornady, Remington Ultra cor-lokt, Federal)

Next

Return to Guns and Ammo