Pit Blind -How to make and use ?

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Woods Walker

RE: Pit Blind -How to make and use ?

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:31 am

ORIGINAL: scottflesher

you wouldn't need to dig it that deep if you used the dirt and piled it up around you as a hump. (think of an old war movie) the dirt from digging the pit could be piled up around the pit to make the pit appear deeper than it is. You could use this as a rest for your gun/crossbow.

This is true if you're using a gun or crossbow, but I assumed that he was using a bow, in which case he would need that much room.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:07 pm

he could pop up at full draw and sling an arrow like the old cowboy and indian movies [:D]

RubyCreekHunter

Postby RubyCreekHunter » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:39 pm

What state are you in? You might want to check if pit blinds are legal where your at....in MI they are not.
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Wcao_134367_7.html
Chapter II[/b]
General Hunting and Trapping Regulations[/b]
**Section 2.1 takes effect on March 6, 2009, and will remain in effect until March 6, 2012**[/b]
2.1 Taking of animals; prohibited methods, devices, and weapons; exceptions.[/b]
Sec. 2.1 Unless otherwise specified in this order, a person shall not do any of the following:
(1) Make use of a pit, pitfall, deadfall, scaffold, raised platform, tree, cage, snare, trap, net, baited hook, or similar device, or a drug, poison, anti-coagulant, smoke, gas, explosive, weasel, ferret, fitchew, arbalest, spear, or mechanical device, for the purpose of taking an animal or driving an animal out of their hole or home. For the purpose of this order, a mechanical device shall not be construed to mean a firearm, crossbow, slingshot, or bow and arrow. When used in this order, "raised platform" means a horizontal surface constructed or manufactured by a person that increases the field of vision of a person using the horizontal surface beyond the field of vision that would normally be attained by that person standing on the ground.

Sec. 2.8 A person may hunt with a bow and arrow from a scaffold, raised platform, or tree. A person taking deer or bear with a firearm may use a scaffold, raised platform, or tree. A person taking fox or coyote with a firearm one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset may use a scaffold, raised platform, or tree, pursuant to all other hunting regulations. In taking an animal, a person shall not do any of the following on publicly owned lands:

bmorris

Postby bmorris » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:41 pm

Minnesota

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:25 am

Why can't you use a normal ground blind? They make them to blend into the natural cover and you can cut some limbs and small shrubs to put around the blind to help in blend in. They come in all shapes, sizes, and prices for bow and rifle hunting. Sample pic below.

wildchild04

Postby wildchild04 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:21 pm

I'd recommend a Gobbler Lounger chair from cabelas.  It's very comfortable, and just 4 inches off the ground.  Then a low profile ground blind or couple square hay bales.

bowhuntr15

Postby bowhuntr15 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:03 pm

think of OSHA.  JK.  just dug a gound pit where there are no trees (crp field) with good bucks cruising by.  A great location by the narrowest point of a small slough where they love to cross to go to their food source.  I HAVE TO WAIT FOR A PERFECT WEST WIND.  One, the ground blind would stick out and 2, because I hunt public land, I can't leave ground blinds (or tree stands) overnight.  IL.
"Perseverance, Practice, Integrity"

bmorris

Postby bmorris » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:04 pm

Thats why my original idea was to try and do it under an evergreen tree to keep in out of sight. I am on private land so that won't be a problem. There have been some great suggestions and I have changed my plans a little.

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:56 am

let us know how it goes. I'm interested to see a pic of the blind you create and the buck when you harvest him.

Cascade Hunter

Postby Cascade Hunter » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:48 pm

Some good info here.  Washington Hunters

PreviousNext

Return to Breaking News