A hunting knife question

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Doc Hollowpoint

A hunting knife question

Postby Doc Hollowpoint » Sun May 25, 2008 11:20 am

Would the USMC ka-bar knife be suitable as a hunting knife? Anybody here use one?

howhill1

RE: A hunting knife question

Postby howhill1 » Sun May 25, 2008 4:31 pm

personaly i like a smaller slightlythinner blade with a slightly upswept tip.
i love the sharpfinger's by schrade. a new one runs about tweny bucks but you can find an original's for $80 to $100. the ka-bar would however do the job, i just find smaller thinner blades easier to hone and keep razor sharp. 
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

scotman

Postby scotman » Mon May 26, 2008 5:46 am

It all depends on if you are processing the whole animal or just gutting the animal and sending it to a processor. If you are doing the whole processing I would not recommend just the USMC ka-bar. A knife with a point will put alot of holes in the hide when skinning making the hide worthless. I use a 5 inch knife with a hook on the end for splitting open the pounch. I also have a skinning knife made for skinning hides. Once I get the hide off I use a 5 inch boning knife to debone the meat from the bones. Lastly I use a smaller thin fillet type knife to get any silver skin off before I package the meat.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Tue May 27, 2008 5:13 am

I use a 6 inch winchester skinning knife with a gut hook and cherry wood handle. I sure like the surgical stainless steel, because it stays sharper longer,and sharpens easily. 

Spurred

Postby Spurred » Tue May 27, 2008 6:30 am

I use a Buck Vanguard.

jacannon63

Postby jacannon63 » Tue May 27, 2008 12:06 pm

I skin and gut all my deer back at camp so I carry a small lock blade folder in the woods. I use a 5 inch fixed blade  knife with a gut hook to do most of skinning and gutting.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Wed May 28, 2008 4:12 pm

The USMC issue Ka-Bar is way too big and not suitable . I didn't realize why hunters were laughing when they saw my Ka-Bar on my belt . I found out .
I have tried a few knives and my favorite is a Ka-Bar with a 4" fixed blade . I carry it in my backpack rather than on my belt so I don't lose it . I have been using this knife to field dress deer for about 40 years .

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Thu May 29, 2008 1:08 am

i use a Wyoming Knife.. works well for many situations

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu May 29, 2008 4:35 am

When field dressing what do ya'll use to split the pelvis? Do you carry a hatchet as well?
I would think his knife would be fairly suitable to field dress and not have to carry two tools out in the field.

I imagine everyone has a different method, but we usually gut our deer in the kill zone and then haul it out. We usually carry a knife and a hatchet (only because atv is nearby).

But we have had scenarios where it wasn't atv accessible or packing light is the best option at the time and  a heavy multi-purpose knife could serve multi functions.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu May 29, 2008 5:49 am

thats a big knife..you could use it but i wouldnt.. the smaller the better, and i like ones that fold in, in case you fall from a stand or just fall.. heack ive even heard the best gutting knife one can use is a razor blade.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Next

Return to General Discussions