How high in a tree do you go?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
STEROIDCHICKEN

RE: How high in a tree do you go?

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » Wed May 21, 2008 7:13 am

it usually all depends on the area i am hunting...sometimes, it's 15-20 feet, other times, it's 25-30. it also depends which state i am hunting.in georgia, i can go higher but out in kansas, the trees are usually not to climbable...so it my be 15-20 feet.

Konk

Postby Konk » Wed May 21, 2008 7:40 am

I would go with the 20-25 foot range also. But regardless of how high I go, I alway wear my saftey harness. Dont' leave the ground with out it. [:D]
Member;
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association
Sticks N' Limbs Camo Prostaff
Carson-Optics Prostaff
www.bowhuntingstore.com

Dan Schmidt

Postby Dan Schmidt » Thu May 29, 2008 11:26 am

To me, height depends on tree and location. Given the choice, I like to go 20-25, but I have many stands that are 15-20 because they are camouflaged very well. DES

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri May 30, 2008 3:23 am

Very situational. I will go as high as I can, so long as I have safe limbs and shooting lanes. In some cases this is 30' or higher. In others, it is 10' or less.

My two biggest bucks were taken with a bow from the same tree. It is a scrubby looking elm along an inside corner of a crop field. In each situation, my stand height was between 10-12 feet! I have to watch the wind and spruce it up with limbs for cover, but it's my best stand.

RNC

Postby RNC » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:21 am

I usally end up somewhere between 15-20' depending on the cover in and around the tree I am using.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 am

15-25....I have ladder stands...hang ons....built and climbers....it's difficult to climb too high with the climber because fear of height and the winds here are more than brisk during hunting season here...I handle the fear well because I'm always hooked in but when the trees start swinging all bets are off...lol...seen too many healthy looking hard maples snaped off half way up...harness wouldn't do me much good if I were strapped to the half falling [:o]

bckklr

Postby bckklr » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:42 pm

15-20 in archery season  25-35 in gun season if the canopy will permit
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

sludge

Postby sludge » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:13 am

It completly depends on the trees around me..
I really have never measured it.. just high enough.. or low enough to get the job done I guess.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:11 pm

For me, height is irrelevant. What's FAR more important to me, is the:

1. Elevation of the base of the tree in relation to the terrain I anticipate the deer to approach from.

2. The amount of cover that's in the tree, especially if from the deer's eye view, I will be skylighted.

3. Position of the tree in relation to the approach route the deer will take, i.e., I don't want to be on the OUTSIDE edge of a bend in the trail, because they will be looking straight at me when they make the turn.

4. For gun hunting, I will go as high as conditions dictate. For ARCHERY hunting I don't like getting higher than 15' to 18', because anything higher makes for some REALLY steep kill zone angles, with much less margin of error due to the decreased size of the kill zone from above.  I am of the opinion that a lot of deer are wounded and not recovered because of "nose bleed" shots with bows. I'm not saying that you can't kill them from the cheap seats...they will die every bit as much as from a lower angle, IF you can put the arrow where it has to be...but it does decrease target size considerably.

Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

bowhuntersrave

Postby bowhuntersrave » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:14 pm

18' to 25' seems to work good
www.bowhuntersrave.com
Preserving our bowhunting heritage