Antlerless tags

JOEL

RE: Antlerless tags

Postby JOEL » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:51 pm

1000 hours ot and you cant afford food?
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:07 am

[color="#990000"][color="#000000"]You won't get any insults from me, but with all due respect you have some things to think about. [/color]

"... family before Game Commission!"[/color]
And, apparently, your family before anyone else's, and your family now before your family in the future.

[color="#990000"]"And remember..if they can limit to 3, who is stopping them from going to 2? then to 1?"[/color]
It wasn't long ago when we could get only a maximum of two doe tags. I also remember when we could get a maximum of one. And I remember when we could get only one, but if we shot a buck we couldn't use it. I'm not quite old enough to remember when we couldn't get any doe tags. As I said earlier, it seems to me that we're living in the good old days now.

[color="#990000"]"Plus i work approxmately 1000hrs of OT per year at my job, ..." [/color]
Let's check the numbers. A 40-hour week for 50 weeks (assuming only 2 weeks vacation) equals 2000 hours. A person who works 1000 hours of overtime would have to work an average of 60 hours per week. Lots of people do that, but few of them have Saturdays free, and in Pennsylvania we're not permitted to hunt on Sundays. So, it would be hard for a 3000 hour employee in PA to even be a "weekend warrior."

[color="#990000"]"Say it cant happen but 'BO' already has people in place who wants to outlaw hunting all together." [/color]
Yes, it could happen. And I'm concerned about that. You're referring mainly to Cass Sunstein, head of the White House Office of Regulatory Affairs. He has some jurisdiction over federal lands, but not over state lands or private property. His kind will always be around, and if he tries to ban hunting anywhere, he'll have the fight of his life on his hands.

[color="#990000"]"since when did PA become a trophy deer state? im sorry but i was brought up and always looked at PA being a hunting state. Gee there i go again not going with what the Game Commission says...I agree trying to improve the quality of the deer heard, but some are taking it overboard. You want a huge racked, 8 1/2 year old buck..go to iowa."[/color]
You should know that PA is not a "trophy state," and never will be. That is clearly not the objective of the PGC. A state with diversified habitat and diversified land ownership cannot be managed as a trophy state. With some overlap, there are three main types of deer management: traditional deer management, quality deer management, and trophy deer management. No state manages deer for trophies. That goes on inside fences where managers have control of every aspect of deer management. You don't hear of free-ranging "cull bucks." And you should also know that a huge-racked 8½ year old free-ranging buck is rare anywhere, certainly in Iowa and especially in Pennsylvania. And they always will be.

It seems to me that you have it very good there in southwestern PA. Is there anything about hunting in PA that you appreciate?

As I said, with all due respect,

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Croz73PA

Postby Croz73PA » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:45 pm

Deer hunting in pa is great right now.  With some time and effort you can observe plenty of animals.  But things could be better.  The reason we dont see the number of deer we sometimes think we should is because of the people that think they're entitled to killing a deer whenever they want.  I hear all to often people talking openly about killing deer they dont have tags for, killing deer out of season, killing deer and leaving them.  I'm not sure how many of us realize the number of slobs are out there.  If everyone was to follow the guidlines put out by pgc, we would be amazed at the results.  Fortunately deer are survivors and continue to do well despite the slobs.  It's good to hear from all the respectable hunters out there who abide by the laws.  TURN IN POACHERS

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:31 pm

most states have a poachers hotline and you can remain anonymus
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

danesdad

Antlerless tags

Postby danesdad » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:49 am

Did anybody get the actual tag yet?
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:40 pm

I got my tag for 5B in the mail last week.
Dave M.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:44 pm

Still waiting on my 2C.
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:28 pm

I've got one coming for 2F and another for 2A. My dad and my nephew failed to draw, but they put in for only one WMU.

Whether you have your tags yet or not depends on the policy of the country treasurer on when they send them. Some send them as they fulfill them, others send them later. I don't know, maybe they're waiting for checks to clear, or maybe the local post office has convinced them to hold them until they presort them or something. But, there's a deadline when they have to get them to you, and it's before the season opens. It's Sept. 13 for the first round, and Sept. 27 for the second round. Some guys are worried that they don't have them in hand by now, but I've never heard of anyone not getting their tag in time for the season opener.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

MRHunter

Postby MRHunter » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:50 am

Still waiting for 4B and 5C.

Previous

Return to Pennsylvania