need a little help

Patriot

RE: NEED A LITTLE HELP

Postby Patriot » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:41 pm

Well, the stand location and water access seem like a sound plan / location.

The deer are still pounding the beans in my area.  Not sure why you are not seeing deer.  May be time to move your stand just a bit.

Regarding calls, I've tried very light rattling and calling lately to deer I've spotted.  All I've accomplished is to scare them away.  Not exactly sure why.  Maybe I need a decoy to complete the deception.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

dewey

Postby dewey » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:20 am

This is a simple question so don't take offense by me asking but I assume the wind is in your favor whenever you are in that stand, right? Because even with the most scentless equipment out there deer can still smell you if the wind is not in our favor.

Good luck

Dewey
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

USNavyChiefRet

Postby USNavyChiefRet » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:52 am

Don't feel bad S.W.A.T. 33, I hunted last weekend and earlier in the last weekend in Sept. and I haven't seen a single deer yet. I think I know why though. I got out of my stand last Sunday morning at about 11:00 a.m. and walked the brush hogged trail north past my stand and found deer tracks all over and it seems they are turning right where a dead fall lays across the trail and their's a burm graded up there. The trail goes past my stand and then about 250 yds to the road, they use the trail as cover getting to the road because just out maybe 25 yds is an open hay field, however, I think they have spotted my stand and are using an alternate route. So, this weekend I'm moving my ladder stand and also my climber to different locations. I'm also going to be much more cautious entering my stand locations, i.e. using timber as cover, etc. Wind is a big factor. Deer have basically 3 levels of human scent they use. #1 is a small amount of human scent which they will tolerate and it doesn't initiate fear in them to the point they flee, #2 is when they get nervous, and you can tell this my their body action, i.e. looking up alot as they feed, #3 is they just "get the heck outa dodge!" Sounds like you have access to your stand locations fairly well covered, I would look at maybe moving your stand(s) somewhat, maybe into more cover, to the opposite side of the tree on which deer will approach, favorable wind locations, etc. Good luck and hunt safe!
USNavyChiefRet

S.W.A.T. 33

Postby S.W.A.T. 33 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:53 pm

WELL THE WIND HAS BEEN OUT OFF THE SOUTH SOUTHEAST I PLAN ON MOVING THE STAND. WENT OUT AND SCOUTED AROUND YESTERDAY IN THE RAIN FOUND A NICE RUB LINE AND SOME SCRAPS GOOD TRAIL GOING UP TO THE OAK GROVE ON THE RIDGE SO I WILL LET YOU GUYS NO HOW I DO THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVISE GOOD LUCK TO YOU GUYS.

SPECILIZED.WHITETAIL.ASSAULT.TEAM.

Stickman

Postby Stickman » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:22 pm

I would put my stand close to the the biggest pinch point on your map, of the soybean field. You might be surprised at the results.

mnmaverick

Postby mnmaverick » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:52 am

think about wind too. predominantly N-NW in the fall where i hunt in mn

S.W.A.T. 33

need a little help

Postby S.W.A.T. 33 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:00 pm

i have a t/c encore and i but the nikon bdc scope on it with the gorrila grip mounts i shoot a t/c sabot 250 grain and 150 grains of triple seven pellets and i have been shotting it from a bench so i started at 25 yards got it on there moved to 100 yards and it is like a 12 inch group i just don't get it cheked all the screws there tight sould i try a different sabot or what any help would be great
SPECILIZED.WHITETAIL.ASSAULT.TEAM.

TFin04

RE: need a little help

Postby TFin04 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:03 am

As with anything, have someone else shoot it first (someone you have seen put good groups down range) before making any changes.

Then I would buy some different bullets, powder, and primers, and experiment to work up a good load. I shoot loose powder and my gun shoots most accurately at 90gr of Pyrodex RS. Every gun is different.

prohunter

RE: need a little help

Postby prohunter » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:35 pm

SWAT33, I found that if you keep the gun clean as your sighting it in ,and make sure that the sabot and bullet are seated all the way, sometimes you may think it seated but the sabot is not past the carbon ring in the breech,this carbon forms after shooting just a few times this can make it shoot all over the place. and it can be like having an air pocket between bullet and powder.
aim small miss small!!!! good luck with your TC hope this helps jim
take your kids hunting and you wont have to hunt your kids.

Return to Muzzleloaders