5 Hours & 3 Buckets Of Sweat

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
kykevin

5 Hours & 3 Buckets Of Sweat

Postby kykevin » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:45 am

Took a vacation day from work today and went down to the property and cut out a new food plot location. Started with various grasses and weeds that were taller than me and finished the day with a bare patch 40 yards wide by 120 yards long. Will go down saturday to rake it all up (the worst part of the job) and put down my first dose of weed killer. Checked on my food plot I made last fall and need to figure out what I am going to re-seed into it.
It takes alot of work and sweat to make a food plot without large machinery but I love every minute of it. Will keep you updated on my progress and plan on taking pictures of each step along the way.
-=It's not a passion. It's an obsession.=--

easports

RE: 5 Hours & 3 Buckets Of Sweat

Postby easports » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:10 am

kykevin

easports

Postby easports » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:22 am

kykevin

Just out of curiosity what type of equipment are you using to clear an area of that size? I also am limited to the availably of equipment and so I'm restricted to developing plots that are ¼ of what your working on.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:00 am

Kevin....always good to get a job well under way ...at least enough to see progress....good luck with it... I'm sure you'll have her growing well soon....I can kick up my heels for I put in my last plot of the year a few days ago....
 The very sparse corn plot is growing ...some corn lots of weeds...(new ground this year)and scattered turnip patches with in...even with the lack of corn....the deer will have a bit of cover for the rain and heat and room to grow.... will let the stalks fill out a bit more than the usual tight planting..I found that the feed corn is RR but I was a tad ticked about the turkeys eating 2/3 of the seed and pulling out half of plants that grew...I just went out and started throwing turnip seed over it[>:]...well now theres no spraying but...the turnips in there are up 8 in. ...lol

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:19 pm

Msbadger I planted clay peas and beans for starters! I guess I will see how they turn out with this sandy soil, then in Sept i will plant my grasses.. That web site you told me about was informative thanks again
ORIGINAL: msbadger

Kevin....always good to get a job well under way ...at least enough to see progress....good luck with it... I'm sure you'll have her growing well soon....I can kick up my heels for I put in my last plot of the year a few days ago....
The very sparse corn plot is growing ...some corn lots of weeds...(new ground this year)and scattered turnip patches with in...even with the lack of corn....the deer will have a bit of cover for the rain and heat and room to grow.... will let the stalks fill out a bit more than the usual tight planting..I found that the feed corn is RR but I was a tad ticked about the turkeys eating 2/3 of the seed and pulling out half of plants that grew...I just went out and started throwing turnip seed over it[>:]...well now theres no spraying but...the turnips in there are up 8 in. ...lol

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:51 pm

more than welcome ...good luck this year[:)]

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:24 pm

I too lack the equipment necessary to do the job. I'm not pushing equipment, but I saw a commercial the other day for a piece of equipment that was designed to be towed behind a 4-wheeler. It had three items in one, a tiller, planter and a rake like instrument that did it all for you in one pass. While I'm not sure the cost and if it's worth it, I may look into it.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:54 am

Nice going KYKevin...the heat has been miserable here in Mo. so I can just imagine how tough it was for You doing a food plot by hand! [&:] [:@]

It will be well worth it when You get done and those plants start sprouting up! [;)] What do You plan on planting?

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements