Muzzleloader

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
crazybull

RE: Muzzleloader

Postby crazybull » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:06 am

Thx for the info guys.
Fear the government that fears your gun!

mgemmill

Postby mgemmill » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:11 am

May I suggest an T/C Encore, I have one and love it, you can also buy other barrels, in shotgun and rifle calibers. Kinda of an all around gun.

little_deer_aaron

Postby little_deer_aaron » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:13 am

I don't know much about the Optima or Accura but i own a CVA Kodiak and love it. it shoots great. this year will be the second full season i have hunted with it. (my 2 sisters gave it to me Christmas '08) so i say flip a coin and don't look back [:D] !
Deer Hunt'n with an Enfield NO5 303 and a 50 cal CVA
May God bless all of us with a Blessed and Fruitful hunting season

tnt1960

Postby tnt1960 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:47 am

I have a CVA Optima Pro muzzleloader, and it is a tack driver! I absolutely love it! It`s killed 3 bucks and 2 does for me the last 3 years. That`s the only gun I take with me to the woods during the firearms season from now on!
You can`t grill it till you kill it. For great sales/service, go to http://www.oneidabows.net/

mohican

Postby mohican » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:50 pm

By entry level, do you mean price wise in case you don't like MZ hunting?   or a simplistic gun?   Price wise, you can probably pick up a good Knight Disc, cheap.  (Due to knight being out of business for a while, but I read someone is trying to resurrect Knight)   Its as accurate as any gun out there.  

By entry level-simplistic a break open may be the most  user friendly.   Easy primer access, easy cleaning, ergonomics meant for walking around deer hunting.   Ranging from the Traditions and CVAs up to the Encore and the even more wonderfull, but out of production Knight KP1.   And yes, the KP1 is much nicer than the funky stocked Encore..... Wear the same clothes you will wear hunting during MZ season, and shoulder as many as possible at your LGS.   Does it come to your shoulder easily?   Does the scope or sight align itself naturally?   These are things to look for, even in, or especially in an entry level gun.

muzzlehunter

Postby muzzlehunter » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:21 am

New to the forum and first time on it. I bought a CVA optima prior to the firearms season and love the gun. I get good groups (limited sight in time because of work), know i can get better. The only two faults I found with this was the ramrod is made of aluminum. If your not careful the machining at the muzzle can cut into the ramrod creating shavings. The recoil pad is nice but the material used is somewhat "tacky" meaning it has a tendency to catch on clothing. Found that regualr spray paint remedies this. For the price though it's sweet. I personally don't hunt with centerfire arms anymore.

jdbell91

Re: Muzzleloader

Postby jdbell91 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:07 am

I have a .50 caliber CVA Accura. I love this gun! I shoot a 250 grain Hornaday SST Low Drag sabot with 100 grains of Blackhorn 209 powder and CCI 209 primers. It is dead center at 100 yards. That is the max I can shoot at my range. I have it scoped with a Nikon Slug Hunter BDC 200.

Initially I used 100 grains of Pyrodex 777 pellets and 270 grain Powerbelt Platinum rounds with the Winchester 777 ML primers. I did not like the accuracy of that load or the "grit" the powder left in the barrel.

I can't say enough good things about this gun and my current load.
Semper Fi,

Joe

mnslayer

Re: Muzzleloader

Postby mnslayer » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:08 pm

I shoot a cva buckhorn with belted rounds and triple7 pellets. very accurate gun and well machined. purchased it to see if I wanted to get into blackpowder shooting. thinking of upgrading to a wolf cva in stainless. looked at several of the cva guns and they always look good machined clean without heavy cut marks or blemishes.

Previous

Return to Guns and Ammo