Raking Trails

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
mhouck06

Raking Trails

Postby mhouck06 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:37 am

I have recently heard that raking deer trails can sometimes increase the usage of the trail because a deer will prefer a more silent journey and by raking leaves off of the trails it can create that silence. have you guys ever heard this or tried it?

EatDeer

RE: Raking Trails

Postby EatDeer » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:51 am

I have raked the trail I use to get to my stand,the deer don't seem to mind it. Makes your stand entry/exit easy in the dark.  You can sneak up on deer on your entry in the afternoon.

shadow

Postby shadow » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:54 pm

I don't know about trails that are already there, however I had cut new trails and (raked them) through 10 acres of thick woods and brush on my hunting property 2 years ago and I noticed the deer will use these new trails. But so will people, I have now had to cut down some trees so trespassers can't use them.

scotman

Postby scotman » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:19 am

I have never heard raking deer trails has increased the throughput on them.

I guess you can try it and see. Take a census of the trail within a 2-3 week period without raking the deer trail. Then take a second census of the trail being raked for a 2-3  week period and compare your results. Your best option to get a accurate and undisturbed census is to use trail cameras. Preferably IR Trail Cameras so the flash doesn't spook the deer. Plus try to avoid taking the census while they are changing there seasonal feeding patterns. Some trails are not used all year round.

Woodchips work great for a regular trail you use often.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:11 am

I've been mowing trails to my stands for years...actually had a 12pt buck walk along one trail 20yrds in front of me as I mowed....they get use to it and bucks use trails alot during the rut scent checking for the doe....I fertalize the brambles that grow on either side of the trails...easy walking and enhanced feed for them....no need for lights to get to any of my 24 stands....easy stalking during gun season

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:31 am

deer use the path of least resistence

RNC

Postby RNC » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:14 am

It may increase deer movement for the trail because deer are lazy like people and will use the path of least resistance. On the other hand that trail could of always had that amount of traffic on it and now that bare dirt is there its just easier to see the tracks of the passing deer.

Return to General Discussions