Carbon or Aluminum Bolts?

Legnip

Carbon or Aluminum Bolts?

Postby Legnip » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:17 pm

Pick your poison. Which do you prefer, and does it make that much difference?
From those who much is given, much is expected

oneshot 1

RE: Carbon or Aluminum Bolts?

Postby oneshot 1 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:12 am

I use Aluminum but I'm cheap too.

oneshot

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:11 pm

Four carbon bolts came with my crossbow, but I switched to the aluminum this year. I don't think that I will mind, or even notice a difference. I ordered a dozen from a web site. I didn't want to worry about putting a cracked bolt in. I still have to sight it in, but I am hoping that it will help with some of the broadhead issues that I have been having.

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:12 pm

ORIGINAL: oneshot 1

I use Aluminum but I'm cheap too.

oneshot

Nothing wrong with cheap, when it works just the same.

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:57 am

Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Aluminum is easier to damage and have an undetected flaw than carbon. Carbon, grain for grain, is stronger and lighter giving a flatter trajectory, but also absorbs less energy from the bow and causing more noise. Aluminum is easier to make tuning adjustments to and refletch.
Carbon is either straight or its broken, Aluminum can be bent and cause all sorts of frustration.

moxie1884

Postby moxie1884 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:45 am

ORIGINAL: Highlander Archery

Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Aluminum is easier to damage and have an undetected flaw than carbon. Carbon, grain for grain, is stronger and lighter giving a flatter trajectory, but also absorbs less energy from the bow and causing more noise. Aluminum is easier to make tuning adjustments to and refletch.
Carbon is either straight or its broken, Aluminum can be bent and cause all sorts of frustration.

HA, based on what you've said, which would you choose to shoot and why?
Terry

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:31 am

ORIGINAL: moxie1884

HA, based on what you've said, which would you choose to shoot and why?

Usually I will go with carbon since I assemble my own stuff. Our disabled shooters have hit cinder block walls twice and the bolts survived.

riadkill0724

Postby riadkill0724 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:10 am

I aks my self the same Quest . Im new to crossbows - my C5 /Wildcat came with carbon bolts and tell's me to use suitable bolts made for the C/5-150# Wildcat- thay say 300+125 broad head weighting at least 425 grains( Bolts ).... Arrows) of inproper Stiffness or mass whight may damage the limd and cable assemble .... well My Q. how to know what whight aluminum would I use in place of the Barnett carbon 300 grain and the (same stiffness )as Barnett's. I need a 425 totl wht... Quest#2 are all 20 in carbon bolts the same weather thay are Barnett or Ten pont ,Horton, Parker if all 20 with no tip or broadhead, fildpoint..or half moon nock.. do thay all have 13.75% G per inch ?and all the same stiffness.O'm worryed about the arrow flex from 0 to 320 ft per sec in 13 in

varminter

Postby varminter » Thu May 27, 2010 1:23 pm

ORIGINAL: riadkill0724

I aks my self the same Quest . Im new to crossbows - my C5 /Wildcat came with carbon bolts and tell's me to use suitable bolts made for the C/5-150# Wildcat- thay say 300+125 broad head weighting at least 425 grains( Bolts ).... Arrows) of inproper Stiffness or mass whight may damage the limd and cable assemble .... well My Q. how to know what whight aluminum would I use in place of the Barnett carbon 300 grain and the (same stiffness )as Barnett's. I need a 425 totl wht... Quest#2 are all 20 in carbon bolts the same weather thay are Barnett or Ten pont ,Horton, Parker if all 20 with no tip or broadhead, fildpoint..or half moon nock.. do thay all have 13.75% G per inch ?and all the same stiffness.O'm worryed about the arrow flex from 0 to 320 ft per sec in 13 in

[font="times new roman"][/font] 
As per the aluminum bolts, you need using at least XX75 2219 bolts (13.8 gr/inch). They will provide you enough resistance and (specially) the weight for your crossbow. As per the carbon bolts, they do differ in weight depending on the model, same as happen to aluminum bolts.
One normally may look for a light bolts to get flat trajectories, however as long as you reduce the weight in the bolt, as much as you get close to a dry fire, in turn, a possibility of causing the system to break whether limb or string may increase. Hope this may help.

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:16 pm

I'll have to check through the magazine that I just read, but I think the writer actually used this quote.

Next

Return to Crossbows