Hard Work

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
easports

Hard Work

Postby easports » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:42 am

[font="times new roman"]I did some tilling and seeding last weekend in three small food plots and impatiently couldn't wait to see any results.  After 6 days, check out the results so far.  I was impressed.  I have two concerns so I'm asking for your advice.  FIRST:  as you can see in the pictures, this one plot is growing in patches.  I'm not sure if the birds and squires have hit sections of the plot removing the seeds or they still have not germinated.  Do you think I need to reapply more seed in the bare areas or wait?  The other two plots are much more noticeable.  Our season starts the second week in September and I want to stay off the property as much as possible till then.  [/font]

The product I've planted was Bio Logic Outfitters Blend.  I'm also getting grasses coming with this product.  Should I leave it or look for an herbicide to kill it?  I'm concern about the herbicide killing more then the grass….you know?

msbadger

RE: Hard Work

Postby msbadger » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:06 am

The pic is very grainy but it actually looks to be growing well .....the product contains trical and oats...so are you sure your seeing Grass and not the grains growing?...Id just leave it and hunt it when you originally planned..the deer will coming to the oats and trical earlier than the rest ...it usually grows the fastest and palatable in early growth stage...Good luck 

easports

RE: Hard Work

Postby easports » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:07 am

msbadger:

I just got off the phone with one of the reps from Mossy Oak who also reviewed my pictures. He mentioned two important things....one reason some areas maybe bare and others are supper thick could be that rain pushed the seeds to that thick patch. He also mentioned that what I thought is grass is another product of Outfitters…I'm doing as you and he said….I'm leaving it.

I'm going to re-seed the bare areas and hope for a gentle rain. We will see what happens in the next 7 to 10 days.

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management