BEST Trail Camera

DeerAddict

RE: BEST Trail Camera

Postby DeerAddict » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:06 pm

What kind of Bushnell did you have Marc Anthony???

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:47 am

I really like my Moultrie I-60 trail camera,been seeing them on sale for around $186.99 at different places,great camera with good trigger speed and great quality pictures,I have also heard great comments about the Bushnell camera's  and the Cudeback Capture "Flash" camera's.Moultrie has several new trail camera's out on the maket also,I just put up an I-35 Game Spy camera that is compatible with the new Game Spy management Web Site if I choose to buy the connector and make the monthly fee to view my pictures via their web site and also have the pictures sent to our cell phone?

Oakarver

Postby Oakarver » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:15 pm

I was hoping this thread would help me out. Not much of a selection here [:D]

I have some Cabelas' club points I plan to use towards a new trail cam. Going digital this time. Looks like the Reconyx is everything I'm looking for..but the price!  All I'd need is a $100 rebate from them...then it'd be a go. 

DeerAddict

Postby DeerAddict » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:40 pm

I know what you mean Oakarver... I thought this post would get more feedback, but I guess I was wrong. Sorry it didnt help much.........[:(]

Oakarver

Postby Oakarver » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:41 pm

I actually get very good pics with my old Cuddeback(I must just be good at camera placement or something) but I'm sick of paying for film and processing etc. Of course I'll probably keep it to use SOMEwhere.

I've been going over them at Cabelas. I'd like to stick with something under $300..maybe around $200 even. Some of these you could get 2-3 of them for the price of the big boys.

I guess I should point out- I'd prefer something that also takes color pictures at night. I'm actually not concerned about a regular flash either. I know there's a site out there- all on these trail cameras- reviews etc. Guess I've got some homework to do.

Oakarver

Postby Oakarver » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:47 pm

pickleguy

Postby pickleguy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:28 am

I used to swear by Moultrie now I swear at them. I had 3 model I 40's die this year that were just over a year old & I sent them in to be looked at & all they did was send them back saying they would give me a discount on new cameras. The dicounted price is higher than what I can pick them up for online. I don't think they ever have a intention of looking at them to see if they can be repaired. I have had luck with a couple of stealth cam flash cameras.
�If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.It is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved

SHKYBoonie

Postby SHKYBoonie » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:23 pm

ORIGINAL: Marc Anthony

Ruby, Reconyx just sent me the new Hyperfire and it is also a superior camera. I would have missed a buck of a lifetime if it wasn't for the Reconyx because my Bushnell, etc, etc, didn't pick up the same buck in the same area. They are worth every penny, if you were to ask me. If it doesn't show you everything, it's not worth the discount!

Marc, I really wished you would specify which Bushnell cams you are referring to. In another thread you mentioned the Bushnell Trail Scout which is Bushnell's old line of trail cams. They were only 2MP cameras and had very limited set up options. The Trail Scout took a picture every 60 seconds no matter what which used alot of battery life on one animal. The trigger speed was slow at best and the pics were grainy or blurred at night. I would like to think that you wouldn't put a product down before you actually used one first hand. From what I gather about the NEW Bushnell products is the fact that they are trying to redeem themselves by putting out some better quality products. Not only their trail cams but scopes, rang finders and other products.

I have used Cuddie Back, Moultrie, Old Bushnell, Stealth Cam, Wildview, Wildgame Innovations, New Bushnell and a few other short lived units from companies don't even remember. I have had problems from every manufacturers product at one time or another.

I got the Cuddie Cams when they first came out with the digital line. They were good for a while. By the time I started having problems with them, the warranty had expired.

I didn't like the Moultrie cams at all. The pics were of very low quality and the battery life wasn't all that great. They were also a pain to program, you never knew if you got it right until you went to get your pics. I also had problems with their customer service.

The "old" Bushnell Trail Scout cams were a joke although they did help me get on a big 9 point that I eventually killed in 2006. They compared very close to the WGI IR4 that I bought last year. The battery life was awful, the picture quality was bad and the trigger speed was incredibly slow.

Up until last year, the Stealth Cam 540IR was the best cam I had used. It would get about 1500 pics on one set of C batteries. I still use these cams today. I bought a couple of the higher priced Stealth Cam Prowlers, they were great when they worked. They spent more time at Stealth Cam than they did in the woods. Good thing is the customer service was very easy to deal with.

The Wildview cams were surprisingly good for what I paid for them. They worked great on mineral licks and bait stations although I only got about a years worth of service before they started acting up. The battery life wasn't great but it wasn't terrible either.

The WGI IR4 cams were junk right off the bat! Even though they are only $99, IMO that's $99 too much.

I bought 2 of the Bushnell Trophy Cams last year at the QDMA convention on a promise from one of the Bushnell reps there working their booth. He gave me his direct contact info and told me, "If these cams aren't the best you have ever used, send them back to me and I'll refund every penny." So, I did and they were! For under $200 each (without the LCD viewer), you can't beat them. I have yet to see any advertisement from other makers comparing themselves with these little cams. Matter of fact, every cam maker now has a version that is modeled after these Trophy cams, including Reconx. I did have a problem with one of the Bushnell cams. One of the latches broke, not an operational problem. I called Bushnell and they sent me out not one, but 4 replacements free of charge. Bushnell also puts a 2 year warranty on their cams, not one year like everyone else. I bought 5 more Trophy cams this year. 3 are last years models that I found on EBay for a great price and 2 are 2010 models. These have only been out for a few months now, but so far so good!

I would recommend to the average hunter, who, like me, doesn't have the funds to waste money on sub-par cams or buy the upper end cams to give the Bushnell cams a try. If the reviews on the 2010 cams bother you, you can still by the 2009 cams on EBay and other sites for good prices. I have to say that it was the best investment I have made on game cameras!

Hunt as though your life depended on it, because one day it just might!

motorbreaker

Postby motorbreaker » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:30 am

I was hoping this thread would help me out. Not much of a selection here

The tread says. Best trail camera.
I've had a dozen differant trail cams and none of them
were the best. They were all subpar.

With trail cams dont except to be happy with there perf.
You have to learn to be sattisfied and except the fact
that you wouldnt pay 400 plus for the best cam.  Jake

DeerAddict

Postby DeerAddict » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:55 am

Thanks everyone for the advice! Especially SHKYBoonie! I aslo asked Marcanthony which bushnell he had but he never replied.... 
Which model trophy cam were from the pictures you posted???

SHKYBoonie, I've made a decision and I'll be purchasing a trophy cam in the near future....Which model do you think I should get?? Cabelas has both 2009 and 2010 models... Do you recommend one over the other?

PreviousNext

Return to Scouting Cameras