Who has used a good camera that is 100 bucks?

berudd

Who has used a good camera that is 100 bucks?

Postby berudd » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:22 am

So how effective are the sub $100 trail cams. I don't mind if the images are of lower quality; what matters is will it reliably capture game on camera. I read a few reviews of trail cams on BassPro or Cabelas and they all seemed to get pretty bad reviews. Even some that cost upwards of $300 where getting some pretty negative comments. What are some of your experiences?

extroverted

RE: Who has used a good camera that is 100 bucks?

Postby extroverted » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:06 am

Berudd
Besides what the reviews have to say, I personaly stick with wild view 3 comes with a bright night flash, 12 volt external jack and will except 2 gb memory card.
I have had 10 of them for the past 3 years without any real problems.
I equip all mine with 12 volt external batteries and 5 watt solar panels to keep everything running all the time. the cams can be a little slow as far as responce time but for the money you cant do better. check out trailcampro web site this guy does a lot of good reviews about the cams he has used in the past.
What ever you do, DON'T buy Remington or wildgame cams, they ARE JUNK!!!

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:11 pm

you can usually find new moultries for around 100 bucks, I had one that cost around $100, used it for 5 years trigger speed was a little slow but it took good pictures if you could get them to stop for a second.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:08 pm

If You watch for sales You can get a little better trail camera that will last longer,I got a nice Moultrie I-60 on sale for $186.00 at the BassProShop and it has performed very good,I have another one that I bought a year ago for $300.00 so if You shop around and have some patients you can get a nicer camera.The newer Bushnell Trophy Camera's have been getting some good rating with battery life up to 1 year and I believe the warranty is for 1 or 2 years,they have up to 8.0 megapixels and are an IR camera....or for less money you can get the regular flash camera.Moultrie also has several new affordable camera's on the market now that may be worth looking into also?

The more LED's on the IR camera's the further the flash will carry out for a better picture and the more megapixels the better the picture will be and it will be more clear when enlargeing or viewing.

extroverted

Postby extroverted » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:34 pm

Berudd
If cost is a concern then don't bother with all the other brands, and go with the Wildview EZ cams, email me at jward2866 at aol and I will send you some pictures as well as videos that you will enjoy. You can buy these cams for $55.00 EBAY then look to purchase an external battery along with an SD card. Now you are looking at 2 months of rechargeable use at the low cost of $122.00 per cam.
Add a 5 Watt solar panel and forget about ever needing to recharge anything. Just change out your SD card when ever you would like to see your deer

billcurry

Postby billcurry » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:56 am

Wildview sells most of their cams for less than $100.  I have three of them, 2 of which (IR) i have used for 2+ years and haven't had a single problem with them.  I always get decent pics and battery life isn't bad IMO. 

I work at Fleet Farm (and no they DON'T give an employee discount to anyone, for anything, except work boots/shoes and black pants) and they have a Moultrie cam on sale this week for $99.  HOWEVER-BE FOREWARNED-if your Moultrie cam takes a crap, Fleet Farm will NOT give you an exchange, money back, gift card, etc.

They have some deal/agreement with Moultrie that simply says if the cam is defective you the customer need to get a hold of Moultrie.  AND many"little birds" have told me Moultrie is not the most customer friendly of company's.  I just spoke with a customer yesterday that bought the Moultrie cam on sale and it didnt work so he tried to return it and Fleet Farm said "no can do". He tried the customer service # at Moultrie and was on hold twice for more than 20 mins each time.
I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. Romans 1:16

lostmyarrow

Postby lostmyarrow » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:43 pm

berudd: I have the WildView EZ Cam which is the early version. They take excellent day pictures, and black and white at night. The camera also goes into a sleep mode to save battery power. The camera has a slow trigger speed and is better set up over a bait. These cameras are hard on batteries. WildView warranty is for one year from the manufacture.
   If you plan on buying WildView, I would highly recommend doing like "extroverted" suggests, using a 5 watt solar panel, but make sure it is designed so it won't reverse and drain your batteries at night. I believe one installs a diode which only lets current flow one way. This adds quite a bit to your initial cost but will save you money later on.

extroverted

Postby extroverted » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:56 pm

Lostmyarrow

you are so correct, I actually sell the solar panels and I have already installed the blocking diode so that the power goes in the battery and stays there.
I first started out buying the panels from bass pro, what a joke what they don't tell you is that they are only 1.25 watts and that wont do a thing for your battery.

I keep my cams out all year long and they stay charged at 13.63 volts all the time.
my new solar panels come with a 25 year warranty, just plug and play they will do the rest for you. the cost is simple and cheap just $35.00 you pay for shipping.

John

w4dsb

Postby w4dsb » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:35 am

I use several brands, I have the wild game innovations IR 4 and SR 2
also the wild view EZ the IR 4 is easier on batteries but i get good photos from all of them. the ez can be had for around 50.00$ .
the IR4 was 89 and the SR2 was 70

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:57 am

I have seen several of the new Moultrie Camera's for a reasonable price,the new I-55 camera's are listed for around $119.00 and less if You catch them on sale,I believe Rogers Sporting Goods have them for $99.00 and it includes free-shipping so that a bargain in itself...I checked on-line yesterday but they were out of stock so hopefully they will get more in at that price?They have several other camera's available at very good prices also.

Next

Return to Scouting Cameras