What is your favorite scent attractant?

Powell1120

What is your favorite scent attractant?

Postby Powell1120 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:15 pm

I personaly like the whitcomb's whitetail estrous urine. It has worked well for my scent wicks and drag lines. I wouldn't be opposed to trying Mrs Doe Pee just havn't Code blue scared more deer than attracted, and Tinks I never seen a noticeable reaction to. What kind of reactions have you seen. I am primarily speaking of estrous urine and created scents, but if buck urine works for you lets hear about it.

NC Deer Hunter

RE: What is your favorite scent attractant?

Postby NC Deer Hunter » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:12 am

Some will disagree but I don't use any. I only use Sent-Away & I also will take a handfull of Pine needles, roll them together in my hands an all over my clothes. There are other plants and trees out there but pine needles have a strong natural sent when ground up.
Didn't mean to get off the topic Powell1120, just thought I would say something about using natural pine cover sent while it was on my mind.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:57 pm

[font="Verdana"][/font]I've tried a pile of them over the years.....Code Blue, Still Steamin', Tink's 69, Tink's Gel (which actually scared two nice bucks off), and many others. NONE of them worked, ever. I've had far better luck using my own urine.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

hookset6969

Postby hookset6969 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:57 pm

I haven't had much luck with any of it so I guess this year I'm going to try pissing all over my boots instead, It can't hurt hell to many people are claiming it works and the other stuff isn't doing anything for me [:D]

metrx

Postby metrx » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:51 am

I've had a few interesting interations with scent over the years, but nothing consistent or with mature bucks. 
I used tarsal glands attached to a drag rag that I took from from a buck I shot the previous season.  (I had them in the freezer all year).  I had a spike buck following me...midday...about 30 feet behind me during the VT rifle season as I was dragging them.
One year during bow season, I was hunting private property that I had drive to.  While at my truck, getting dressed, etc in the AM darkness, I decide to to use some Tinks69.  As I opened the bottle and am spraying it on drag rag, I hear movement about 20 yards away in a hedgerow...and the footsteps are coming right towards me.  I said to myself, "You have to be kidding."  I shine my mini maglight in that direction and a spike buck is walking right toward my truck, circling downwind, broadside.  He literally gets about 20 feet from me, 10 feet in front of my truck with my flashilight on him the whole time.  I start flailing my arms and talking, he finally realizes he isnt going to "get any" and just walks off into the woods.  I let that one go hoping he breeds his stupidity into the genepool...lol
I dont used attractant scent any longer...no luck for me...just cover scent.  But I have had great success with "the can" call...they should be illegal.

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:41 pm

WoodsWalker--your own urine? I've used fox and skunk urine as a cover sent. Very strong and i'm sure they work if you can overcome sitting in a tree smelling skunk all morning.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:23 pm

ORIGINAL: scottflesher

WoodsWalker--your own urine? I've used fox and skunk urine as a cover sent. Very strong and i'm sure they work if you can overcome sitting in a tree smelling skunk all morning.

Well for starters this thread is about scents as an ATTRACTANT and not cover scents. And like I stated, I've had just as much (and maybe more) success with urine as an attractant when I've used my own. Try using your own pee in a scrape and see what happens. It works. Not everytime, but nothing does. At least with your own urine it's still urine and not ammonia, which is what most all of the commercial urines that are out there are by the time you open that bottle.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

WeekendWarrior

Postby WeekendWarrior » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:32 pm

This threads a bit old, but basically what I'm getting from this is that attractant scents are very overrated?

freak nasty 145

Postby freak nasty 145 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:54 pm

I like my own pee as well as Tink's 69. They both seem to work.
"Any sportsman who can kill his deer without the tingling spine, the quick clutch at his heart, the delicious trembling of nerve fibers when the game is finally down, has no place in the deer woods." Lawrence R. Koller. (1948).

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:34 pm

ORIGINAL: WeekendWarrior

This threads a bit old, but basically what I'm getting from this is that attractant scents are very overrated?

[font="Verdana"][/font]Give that man a cee-gar....he just figgered it out!!! [:)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Next

Return to Scent Attractants/Scent Eliminators