Reloading Projects for Fall

Disclaimer: This Web site's authors, editors and publisher have no control over the assembly of ammunition, arms it is to be fired in or how the resulting ammunition may be used. Therefore, no responsibility, either implied or expressed, is assumed for the use of any of the loading and reloading data on this site.
shaman

Reloading Projects for Fall

Postby shaman » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:40 am

I'm late getting my reloading projects started for Fall, but it 's been so hot.  I haven't had an urge to go spend a lot of time at the bench testing them.

Here's what I've got lined up for deer season:

A 30-06 load based on the 150 PSPCL Rem Corelokt for Angus, #3 son.  He's borrowed KYHillChick's '06 bench rifle,  for this season.  It'll probably end up with a 8%-off-Max load of H4895 or thereabouts.  He's getting old enough that he can take the recoil.

KYHillChick has been shooting a 150 grain FMJ load in 30-06 for the past few years.  She's strictly off the bench and on the paper-- no live targets.  My hope is that I can adjust Angus' load to closely match where this one is shooting, so there isn't a whole lot of messing with the sights.

A 150 grain load -- same bullet --for Angus  Mosin Nagant M44.  If he's going to be in a treestand, he won't want 'HillChick's 15 lb bench rifle.  I'll load it so that its shooting on a par with a 300 Savage-- again, H4895.  I slugged the barrel of the M44, and it'll put a groove on a .308 bullet.  If that doesn't work, I've also got .311 bullets for the .303 Brit to try.  Either way, if it can print 4" at 50 yards, it'll be more than enough.

A 130 grain Speer FP load for the Marlin 336 in 30-30.  Now that I no longer have a need for my one -and-only 30-30 to do duties as a Yute rifle, I'm going to re-purpose it as a coyote rifle.  I hope to test it out on a small doe towards the end of season if the yotes don't cooperate.

Since I'm still out of work, I've decided to stick with one powder, H4895.  It's good enough for deer hunting purposes, and I can buy in 8 lb containers and save money. 

How 'bout the rest of you?  What projects have you got planned.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

kyhareraiser

RE: Reloading Projects for Fall

Postby kyhareraiser » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:07 am

workin' on a load for my t/c 15" 308 handgun..using varget powder and 165 gr. barnes TSX bullet...also  workin up a load for the t/c in 30-06 cal. also using the barnes 154 gr tsx..used the bulley in my 308 remmy 700 and the bullet is a deertaker..one shot and it's down every time .. 

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:15 am

I've always wondered how to handle the short barrel when you're loading for pistol.  Do you go for a faster-burning powder?  Every time I've shot rifle factory loads in a pistol, the muzzle flash has been horrendous.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:50 pm

Well Shaman I just bought a custom Model 70 in .300 win mag.  Mind you I want to start doing some Elk and Moose hunts in the following year and I bought it with that in mind.  But I'm not adverse to using it on deer ethier I just think 180 gr bullet is over kill for deer in a .300 win mag.  So my buddy is starting to get me into reloading, and he has some 180 Federal TSX's already loaded and we are going to work on a 165 load too...any thoughts or suggestions?

shaman

Postby shaman » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:29 am

If someone handed me a 300 Win Mag, the first thing I would want to do is reduce the recoil.  I'm a big guy. I'm not recoil-adverse, but I also feel like I don't need to take a beating if I don't need to.  With whitetails, I don't need to.  All my rifle loads are downloaded to one degree or another. 

Here's the data from the Hodgdon site for a minimum load of 165 grain bullet using H4895.

165 GR. SPR SP  Hodgdon  H4895  .308"  3.340"  55.0  2839  46,700 CUP 
2839 FPS at the muzzle would be faster than either my 308 WIN load or my 30-06 load, but the pressure would be less.    In other words, you could conceivably tame this beast down to where it is still shooting faster than a 30-06 and generating only slightly more recoil. For whitetails inside 200 yards, this would be plenty, and you would not have to use premium bullets either.  At this velocity range, I'm using Hornady SP Interlock and Remmie Corelokts. 

I would suggest H4895, because it is has two qualities that work well in this situation.  First, it has a fairly gentle recoil owing to the way it burns. Second it produces a fairly even velocity no matter how much spare room is in the case or where it is situated in the case when the primer goes off.  Hodgdon uses it in all its youth load data. 

Remember that elk are not bullet-proof. They are just . . . er . . .obstinate.  The forces and the damage required to kill them is not all that much more than a whitetail, but elk will continue to function longer before caving in. People tend to forget that.  It's also the range. Whitetails are generally encountered inside 200 yards.  Elk may require a much longer shot. 

One other note:  If you're just getting into reloading,  downloading your hunting loads is a much safer and cheaper.  I am on a lot of sites, and I see guys trying to get 30-06 performance out of there 30-30, and I cringe.  Staying 5% or more off the MAX load does a bunch of things:  it lowers per-round costs, it saves wear and tear on the rifle.  It also reduces the chance of something going wrong. The closer you are to MAX, the easier it is to load a pipe bomb if you screw up.   Whitetail deer certainly won't notice the difference.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:07 am

I've been reloading 270 and 44 mag rounds for my oldest son . I gotta get started on some 25-06 cartridges for myself . It will be a 1st time with the 25-05 reloading .
Semper Fi !

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:27 am

Shaman,

I'm with you.  I'm not recoil shy or adverse, but I don't necessary want to take a beating either..so my thoughts were to keep it at 165 for the deer hunting...which is plenty for the northeast and when I go for that Elk or Moose I can switch back to the 180's.  And the H4895 was also what I was thinking..well I should qualify that by saying what has been recommended to me by many.  Thanks for the feedback!

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:28 pm

I reloaded some 25-06 rounds with 49 , 51 , 53 and 55 grains with 55 being max . The 53 grain rounds were hitting the same as the factory loads . The 55 / max loads were hitting 4 1/2" higher . I will try another 5 of the 53 & 55 as a double check when I get a chance .
Semper Fi !

mohican

Postby mohican » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:43 pm

I bought a Savage 110 Tacticool in 300 win Mag a few years ago.   I shot it first in the off/after season.   I typically help people sight in their 12 gauge slug guns.   After extended time on the bench with 12 guage 3" slugs and sabots, the 300 Win Mag feels kinda tame.     And it's not close to my Marlin 1895 Cowboy in 45-70 for shoulder knockin.       But yes, a 30-06 does the same for deer with much less blast and recoil.   

If I still have tags left when gun season arrives, I will be out with my Ruger SRH in 454 Casull.    I reload with Starline Brass, WW296, AA#9 or Hogdon's Little Gun, and either a 300 grain Hornady XTP-Mag or a 360 grain hard cast LBT bullet.   

Oh, Ohio laws this year will allow me to take a deer with my 1911 in 45acp during gun season.   I may try it out on a doe at close range (40 yards and under)

mohican

Postby mohican » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:57 pm

I also reload 12 and 20 guage sabot loads  using a slug cast from a LYMAN mold.   This is an hour glass shaped slug that uses a regular plastic wad as the sabot.   I have found out that pushing these at upper velocities can leave a residue in the rifling.    About 7-10 rounds of higher velocity reloads, and the barrel needed a scrubbing.   

Next

Return to Reloading