Come on Missouri Hunters

All Talk

Come on Missouri Hunters

Postby All Talk » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:16 am

I am sure there has been plenty of things going on in Missouri since January.  Has anyone been out scouting, found any good sheds, got any good trail camera pictures?  What does everyone think this year will be like with all the wet weather and flooding.  NW missouri was lucky, we had a good window of dry in May and all the crops were planted a month earlier than last year.  We had a real problem with standing corn where I hunt into December.  Big bucks stayed hidden.  What does everyone else think?

cc

clfenimore

RE: Come on Missouri Hunters

Postby clfenimore » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:52 pm

I've got my game cam out no great pics does and fawns. I'll be hunting new land this year since I changed jobs My new employer has 1500 acres near Cleveland Mo and another 500 20 mi north of there both properties are less than 30 min from home. I can't wait to get in there and hunt. I don't scout allot I'd rather spend my time hunt-scouting when bow season opens sept 15 there's time It's great to be able to clock out and walk to my stand. My old job they had 3 farms with 700 acres total.
Here in missouri hunters will be able to hunt deer with an atlatl for the first time I plan to try my hand at that sounds like fun to me.
If a man cant hunt when he's living how the hell will he hunt when he's dead

BillHilly

Postby BillHilly » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:30 pm

Hey where you ben aint seen you here for awile. You still commin down and wack a couple on paps farm? that was a nice gobbler you stuck down here last spring. We got deer runin every wher. Give me a call on the telly chuck. We'll go fishing
Born on a mountain raised in a cave Huntin and truckin is what I crave

clfenimore

Postby clfenimore » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:44 pm

Yes bill We're still traiding hunts I never forget a favor. I had a blast last spring. I would like to have a couple catfish in the freezer. I tried to call and send an email last month did you change the number you got mine drop me a line

All Talk

Postby All Talk » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:11 am

Yeah if I could walk out of my work and hunt I think I would just spend my days scouting from there.  New land is always exciting.  I spoke with some neighbors about hunting some "virgin" land this fall, I am super excited about that.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:08 pm

I found 1 small shed this year while out mushroom hunting,the mushroom season was lousy to say the least.I had my trail camera's out all year,the Bucks are still growing some nice size racks and are still in velvet so far I have a nice 8-Pointer on camera,a young 6-Pointer,a small 4 Pointer and 1 young Spike Buck...lots of Doe's with Fawns and even a Doe with Twins so there will be lots of Deer moving around for Bow and Rifle Season for sure.Oh Yeah...got several nice pictures of Turkey Hens with some decent size Pullets following them around,one Hen has 7 Pullets about the size of small chickens and another Hen has 3 to 4 Chicks that are really small.

Sadly I found the Big 10-Point Buck I had been Bow Hunting for the past 2 Seasons (2008 & 2009) dead on our Farm on Feb 18 2010,looked like he had been dead since the Nov Rifle season or the late Bow season?I called the local Game Warden and got a permit for the head/rack and took it to the local Taxidermist for him to mount,it was a pretty bare skull with some hide left on it but the taxidermist is providing me with another cape so the Buck can be brought back to his former glory!Hopefully I will have pic's of him when he is finished this Fall if I can figure out how to post the Pic's? [8|] [&:]

All Talk

Postby All Talk » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:29 am

Makes you sick doesn't.  I found a 10 point (142 3/8) in the spring of 2009 that I had seen several times and even had a shed for.  He was shot with a rifle and I am 99% sure he was spot lighted and left to die.  I now have game cameras set up just to catch poachers.  So far all that has been handed out is some trespassing warnings by the Sheriff but it lets people know they are being watched.

Would love to see the pictures after the mount.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:20 pm

The Mount will be done in October All Talk....if I can't post a picture here I know I can send it out via my Antique Web Tv to someone if they would be nice enough to post it for me? [;)]

I showed my Neighbor who owns property behind us and another Farm about 1 mile down the road as the crow flys and he said his Dad shot at a nice Buck in Nov. and their neighbor seen it limping a few days later.....he thinks it could be the very same Buck?Never the less,like You stated its a shame to find one wasted like that....I'll definetly have several pictures of the 10-Pointer before in Velvet,when I found him picked cleaned by the Coyotes and Mounted in all his former Glory! [:D] 

tradbowhunter

Postby tradbowhunter » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:00 am

I live and hunt in east/central Missouri and I don't believe crops will be a problem this year.  Acorns on the other hand-they are everywhere.  That really spreads the deer out in my area.

clfenimore

Postby clfenimore » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:15 pm

The acorns here aren't as abundant as past years. Usually the white oaks seem like the best for attracting deer. This will be the second year for the antler restriction in Cass county south of 2 hwy I hope to see more bucks when the rut kicks in. Ray County has had the antler restriction in place since 08 I hunt a river bottom property there. If the antler restriction does what it's suppose to there should be more 3 ½ and some 4 ½ year old bucks there. I'll be checking it out when season opens you can bet on that. I don't like putting any pressure on the deer before season opens. I plan on trying my hand on some of the big muddy wildlife refuge this year as well.

Next

Return to Missouri