handgun hunters

prohunter

handgun hunters

Postby prohunter » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:32 pm

Hey guys i would like to start deer hunting with a handgun this year,but i dont know what to get ,i was thinking of maybe 44mag or 41 mag with maybe a 10" barrel or maybe a 460mag , maybe you guys can give un idea , i have hunted with a black powder pistol and done well, but it has a limited range of 50 or 60 yards.
take your kids hunting and you wont have to hunt your kids.

mightyfofaad

RE: handgun hunters

Postby mightyfofaad » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:19 pm

ORIGINAL: prohunter

Hey guys i would like to start deer hunting with a handgun this year,but i dont know what to get ,i was thinking of maybe 44mag or 41 mag with maybe a 10" barrel or maybe a 460mag , maybe you guys can give un idea , i have hunted with a black powder pistol and done well, but it has a limited range of 50 or 60 yards.

If you plan on shooting out past 60 yds ... get yourself a rifle. [8|]

prohunter

Postby prohunter » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:29 am

thanks but ,i have been deer hunting for 30 years now with a rifle .this is just something i want to do. besides all asked was is what kind, not if i could or not.
thanks anyway jim

bobow

Postby bobow » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:34 am

Jim,

I shoot a S&W Model 29, 8" bbl & open sights.  I feel comfortable with 60-80 yard shots.

A friend shoots the 6" with a Red Dot scope and is very accurate 100 yard plus.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:55 am

ORIGINAL: prohunter

thanks but ,i have been deer hunting for 30 years now with a rifle .this is just something i want to do. besides all asked was is what kind, not if i could or not.
thanks anyway jim

I wasn't trying to imply permission or not. I was just giving a short hand opinion on the discernment or wisdom of trying to take out a deer at over 60 yds with a handgun.

I too hunt occasionally with a Super Blackhawk when I'm in a blind, but have a carbine backup just the same. I personally wouldn't take a 60+ yd shot for two reasons. First, it's much harder to get a clean kill shot at that distance with a pistol vis-a-vis a rifle. Secondly, you are much more likely to get a runner with a pistol at that distance because of the power of a handgun vs. a long gun.

But hey, everyone has their own set of standards & I would never try to impose my hunting rules on anyone else. I merely gave an opinion. If you want to take 100 yd shots with your handgun ... go for it.
[&:]

prohunter

Postby prohunter » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:12 pm

Thanks guys, for your respones but i think i am going to go with a smith and wesson 460 and a red dot ammo might be a little pricey but i think that round will have tons of power and should be able kill at 150 yards with no problems. so i am told we'll find out!
jim
mightyfofaad i misunderstood you i though you just trying to a smart butt and i am sorry about that. jim

eagle1953

Postby eagle1953 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:37 am

I hunt with a TAURUS .44MAG 8 3/8 barrel open sites. go for it
I don`t kill innocet animals, just the ones that look guilty.

Return to Handguns