How does the acorn crop look in your area ?

Legnip

RE: How does the acorn crop look in your area ?

Postby Legnip » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:41 pm

ORIGINAL: bowboxer

me and my best friend went into the mountains looking for deer sign today.found a white oak that was so loaded that the branchs was leaning over.it was the only oak that we found like that.it is the only white oak for about 1/2 of a mile

You may want to go with the fruit trees. I've heard that deer like persimmons, but I don't know why. I tried one and it was really bitter. I would go with apple trees myself. Something with a late harvest. White Oaks are nice, but I think that it would take at least 10 years before you start to get a limited acorn crop. Apple trees will start to produce in 3-5 years.

I've seen box tubes for seedling protection. They are supposed to help keep moisture and limit the amount of deer, rabbit, and rodent damage. It also helps to put a 3' square of filter fabric down around the sapling. Less competition and more moisture and nutrients helps to make them grow faster.
From those who much is given, much is expected

prohunter

Postby prohunter » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:27 pm

thanks legnip,when i plant this fall i will put some weed block fabric down ,that sounds like great idea to me. and yea those persimmons are sour when you pick um off the tree but when fruit is on the ground they are alot sweeter maybe deer eat those i dont know.
but if they can eat an acorn they can anything! have you ever tryed one O MY GOD their so nasty.
Jim
take your kids hunting and you wont have to hunt your kids.

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:13 am

ORIGINAL: prohunter

...if they can eat an acorn they can anything! have you ever tryed one O MY GOD their so nasty.
Jim

The acorns will definitely make you pucker, but I'll still chew on 1 or 2 every fall when I'm on a long walk about.
From those who much is given, much is expected

prohunter

Postby prohunter » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:19 am

legnip, i dont think i could ever eat another, i will stick to back straps instead.
JIM
take your kids hunting and you wont have to hunt your kids.

FrankG

Re: How does the acorn crop look in your area ?

Postby FrankG » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:43 am

Want some? Ther are like ball bearings to walk on.
The acorns are rather large and abundant both white and red oaks. A slight breeze at times sounds like tropical rainstorm. I’m glad that we don’t have coconuts here in southern TN! They do love the white oaks then the red.

Previous

Return to Tennessee