food plot

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
prohunter

RE: food plot

Postby prohunter » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:52 am

cant upload pics or some reason.

prohunter

Postby prohunter » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:08 am

pics
take your kids hunting and you wont have to hunt your kids.

prohunter

Postby prohunter » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:30 am

THis one of my food plots/hay feild ,this soy beans and millet and clover the clover is hard to see but its there.

WeekendWarrior

Postby WeekendWarrior » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:49 pm

Im planning on doing just a small one acre mixture patch of White Clover, brassica, and chicory. Good fall blend, and if its an early corn harvest like I suspect, the deer could hit it really hard. Ill post pics after labor day weekend.

bowboxer

Postby bowboxer » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:56 am

great spot.i wish i had a place like that.good luck i hope you get a big one.

easports

Postby easports » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:38 am

prohunter & ms

MAN, that hard work is realy paying off. GREAT JOB on those plots. Would you mind forwarding mapquest directions to the edge of those fields?
You both should have lots of fun this year drawing in the deer to those plots.....good luck this season.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:41 am

Thanks easeport...ya know deer or not it's been a great year all told....improved new and old areas learn a thing or two and have so many great pics and sightings...its all "trophy " status to me....and maybe I helped some one along the way ....

How are all your plans and hard work playing out...you know I love pics....I hope you have the hunt you want and the game you want on the ground this season...Happy Hunting

easports

Postby easports » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:36 am

I wanted to give you an update on the small property that has the three little food plots. Last week when I was out there and forward some pictures the plot looked like it need some rogaine (bare patches ever where). Well thinks are looking up. The bare areas in most spots have filled in. I might reseed now only in a small spot but I'm pleased with the results.

Now I need some help regarding the mountain property (you know the one with the stones). I took soil samples in the spring and the ph tested at 4.6. I've applied 50 lb bags of pelletized lime on an area 30'x30' three times since the spring. I just got the results back from another soil test and the change was from 4.6 to 4.7. How can that be? At this rate it would take me 13 yrs to get the levels that I want. I can't do much for this season but need to come up with a plan for the future. Any ideas?

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:59 am

easport...I have to ask...no offense...did you work the lime into the soil each time?...it really needs partical to partical contact to bind with soil and do it's job...Second have you had a lot of rain?...being on the hill side...you may want to test the bottom area and see the results there...you may find were the lime went...third...hill side /sandy soil and rain = leaching...these are the only three things I can think of...the other thing is with is being that low and the fact pelleted lime needs doing every year as a maintenance...please consider adding granular lime to the mix...takes much longer to work but holds in the soil and lasts longer...long run cutting some cost

Now ..Great looking plot and love the tower blind...that should produce very well....Good Luck...nice job[:)]

prohunter

Postby prohunter » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:03 am

easports , IT will take 5 to 6 mounts for the lime to really start working good ,i allways fertilize in the spring march or april , and lime in sept or oct so it has plenty of time for lime to work for next spring fertilizing and planting. the first year is allways bad .
But if you keep pluging away at it, those little plots will turn into a big killing zones.
Hope this helps
jim

PreviousNext

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management