GHILLIE SUITS ?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Woods Walker

RE: GHILLIE SUITS ?

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:27 pm

I am curious how & where you carry your arrows since you use a long bow? Also, do you use some kind of "ghillie" camo on the bow itself?

I have cloth camo tape that I put on the front of the limbs on my recurve, not so much to "camo" it (after all, a "stickbow" DOES look a lot like it's namesake!), but to eliminate any glare that might come from the fiberglass/wood laminated limbs.

I do not like having ANY extra weight on my bow, so I use a Mini-Catquiver which I sling over my back, and then I have a Skookum single arrow bowquiver which carries my primary arrow.

http://ranchosafari.com/index.php?main_ ... ucts_id=95
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:56 pm

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

I am curious how & where you carry your arrows since you use a long bow? Also, do you use some kind of "ghillie" camo on the bow itself?

I have cloth camo tape that I put on the front of the limbs on my recurve, not so much to "camo" it (after all, a "stickbow" DOES look a lot like it's namesake!), but to eliminate any glare that might come from the fiberglass/wood laminated limbs.

I do not like having ANY extra weight on my bow, so I use a Mini-Catquiver which I sling over my back, and then I have a Skookum single arrow bowquiver which carries my primary arrow.

Do you also wear a hat like Daniel Boone? [8D]
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:19 pm

Im stuck between the two Ghillies! lol But I did buy 2 sets of those leafy pin on's WW they were on sale 200 for $26.00 So I got 400, I can build a tree out of what I don't use!
I want to thank you guys again, I'll have one baught by thursday, and let you know!!!

USN_SAM I'm muzzling myself as we speak lol

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:27 pm

ORIGINAL: Marc Anthony

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

Do you also wear a hat like Daniel Boone? [8D]

Naaah, not Daniel.....more like this, with some custom trimming......

Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:31 pm

A tip on those leaves........They comes with black safety pins that you attach them with. I take a needlenose pliers and crimp the "safety" catch closed after they are on the ghillie so that they don't open and fall off when walking through brush or when being otherwise handled.

Also, save a few of those black safety pins to pin back the ghillie strips on the head piece so you don't have to cut all of the ones in the way off.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:34 am

I haven't made the leap to a Ghillie suit yet, though I do use those pin-on leaves on my turkey hunting gear. They work great. I've had Longbeards come to within 4 feet of me and have no idea I was there (of how they close they were to dying).

I'm sure as it gets harder for me to climb, I'll switch to a Ghillie suit. Thanks for taking the time to help guys.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:06 am

I thought I would add something to this thread since the Ghillie idea seems to be taking off. I had a reader of my Mathews' article email me today to ask some questions regarding ground hunting and in his message, he informed me of a tragedy that happened in New England last year. It appears that a person was caught in the crossfire while he was in a ground blind. Please use caution when in the Ghillie!

On a funnier note, I was thanked for "inventing" ground hunting, by another person. I had to inform him that I wasn't like Al Gore, who you know, invented the internet but rather was just bringing an older, more primitive way of hunting back to life.
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:20 pm

How do you get your HUNTERS ORANGE to blend in?????????? lol Wait..... Do I dare even ask. lol

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:12 am

ORIGINAL: Gulfcapt

How do you get your HUNTERS ORANGE to blend in?????????? lol Wait..... Do I dare even ask. lol

Actually, I use the ghillie during firearm season also, and I wear a blaze orange vest over it, and I have a blaze orange bandana tied into the headpiece to keep me legal. I have found that as long as the orange isn't shiney, and you keep your movement to a minimum (just like with any other camo) it doesn't seem to make any difference to the deer.

Rancho Safari also makes a hunter orange shaggie vest just for this purpose, but hunter orange is NOT legal in Illinois....

http://ranchosafari.com/index.php?main_ ... ucts_id=96
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

USN_Sam1385

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:51 am

ORIGINAL: Gulfcapt

This is something that is often misunderstood about how deer see. Shaman has posted a picture that elaborates this point extremely well. The picture, is of him standing there in a BRIGHT ORANGE poncho.

The thing is, deer do not see color. Rather, they see the silhouette of human beings and the shape, and identify them that way, along with movement, scent etc. So, like Woods has said, all those expensive crazy colored camo clothing items that sell for so much are really geared to look attractive to the hunters, not the deer.

The reason the Ghillie suit works so well, is because of the shape that it makes you. The deer can stare right at you, and you are ANYTHING but the shape of a human being. Your silhouette is all but gone. So, with a bright orange vest on you still look like this big bush to them, I doubt they can even tell that the vest is on.

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices