Ted Nugent Convicted: Baiting Illegally in CA

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
danesdad

RE: Ted Nugent Convicted: Baiting Illegally in CA

Postby danesdad » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:57 pm

ORIGINAL: Ifishandhunt

Danesdad,
I hear where you are coming from but like you ended in your comment, it's no excuse. Bottom line: It's the hunter's responsibility to know the laws before he starts hunting. With Ted it's even more touchy because he is a public mouthpiece and advocate of hunting rights. It's just more ammo for the anti's.

You are right and he is still repsonsible for himself and the consequences of his actions. I can just foresee a possibility where he DID break the law without knowing for sure he was breaking the law. People are coming out like he's some kind of hypocrite and I dont think that's it at all. I find it much more likely that it was a mistake on the part of his "handlers". Again, that doesn't absolve him of breaking the law. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. It's just a shame that such an outspoken advocate of hunting rights should have this occur.
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:43 pm

ORIGINAL: danesdad

Danesdad,
I hear where you are coming from but like you ended in your comment, it's no excuse. Bottom line: It's the hunter's responsibility to know the laws before he starts hunting. With Ted it's even more touchy because he is a public mouthpiece and advocate of hunting rights. It's just more ammo for the anti's.

You are right and he is still repsonsible for himself and the consequences of his actions. I can just foresee a possibility where he DID break the law without knowing for sure he was breaking the law. People are coming out like he's some kind of hypocrite and I dont think that's it at all. I find it much more likely that it was a mistake on the part of his "handlers". Again, that doesn't absolve him of breaking the law. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. It's just a shame that such an outspoken advocate of hunting rights should have this occur.

I agree with this 100%. He does claim though that he WASN'T baiting with C'mere deer. If that's so, then he should have fought it. And as a person of such high profile, and on TV to boot, then he needs to be even MORE vigilant than the rest of us common slobs in regards to local game laws, however idiotic and convolunted as they may be. I mean, if he had someone on his staff who's job it is to take care of these kinds of things, then that person DROPPED THE BALL if the charges are true!

I don't expect him to know every little regulation, especially when it comes to the details and numerous loose ends that must occur when you are making a TV show. But as you say, ignorance of the law is no excuse, so you them hire someone to MAKE SURE that all the T's are crossed and the I's dotted. For you and I, all this means is paying a fine. No one knows who we are, or gives a rat's patoot. For someone who's high profile, it has FAR more damaging consequences. That's part of the territory when you are in the public eye and make big $$$ from it.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

gippy55

Postby gippy55 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:39 am

Go Teddy Go.....eat what you kill

Hunt4life

Postby Hunt4life » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:35 am

Ted plead no contest to bowhunting within 400yds of feed/bait. He said he didn't place any bait or see any bait. When I hunt in WI I'm always wondering what the neighbors have out for bait because if they have any close to me we are BOTH in violation of WI baiting laws - And stupid laws they are that make you responsible for going over acres and acres of land every day to ensure someone else didn't place bait and make you an unkowing "violator" in the process.

Nugent was screwed on this deal. Period. What's worse, it could have happened to anyone. What we should we be putting our efforts into is changing stupid laws like this.

USN_Sam1385

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:57 am

ORIGINAL: Hunt4life

Ted plead no contest to bowhunting within 400yds of feed/bait. He said he didn't place any bait or see any bait. When I hunt in WI I'm always wondering what the neighbors have out for bait because if they have any close to me we are BOTH in violation of WI baiting laws - And stupid laws they are that make you responsible for going over acres and acres of land every day to ensure someone else didn't place bait and make you an unkowing "violator" in the process.

Nugent was screwed on this deal. Period. What's worse, it could have happened to anyone. What we should we be putting our efforts into is changing stupid laws like this.

I think the deer got screwed on this one, not Ted.

Key words: "Within 400 YRDS of feed/bait.".

That does not mean 400 yards away, that could be 5 yards away.

Ted got caught because a game warden WATCHED the deer that ted arrowed licking up a pile of "C'mere Deer".

Ted plead "No contest", because he blatantly broke the law and it was on video.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:43 pm

C'mon Teddy.  Know the rules!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Hunt4life

Postby Hunt4life » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:10 pm

ORIGINAL: USN_Sam1385

ORIGINAL: Hunt4life

Ted got caught because a game warden WATCHED the deer that ted arrowed licking up a pile of "C'mere Deer".

Ted plead "No contest", because he blatantly broke the law and it was on video.

That's interesting. I heard there was no C'mere Deer found at the site at all. None!

As far as "blatantly" breaking a law... I'll take his and his friend's word that he didn't since they (unlike you) were actually there.
Political Bully�

USN_Sam1385

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:45 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah.... I'll say it again. THE GAME WARDEN WATCHED THE DEER LICK UP THE C"MERE DEER. THIS WAS WATCHED ON A TELEVISION SHOW MONTHS AFTER IT WAS FILMED...

I imagine that the C'Mere Deer would have washed away by then.... lol.

Or maybe the judge and CA Justice department just doesn't like "Ted and his friends" and decided to throw 11 charges at Ted...

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:21 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

ORIGINAL: danesdad

Danesdad,

I agree with this 100%. He does claim though that he WASN'T baiting with C'mere deer. If that's so, then he should have fought it. And as a person of such high profile, and on TV to boot, then he needs to be even MORE vigilant than the rest of us common slobs in regards to local game laws, however idiotic and convolunted as they may be. I mean, if he had someone on his staff who's job it is to take care of these kinds of things, then that person DROPPED THE BALL if the charges are true!

I don't expect him to know every little regulation, especially when it comes to the details and numerous loose ends that must occur when you are making a TV show. But as you say, ignorance of the law is no excuse, so you them hire someone to MAKE SURE that all the T's are crossed and the I's dotted. For you and I, all this means is paying a fine. No one knows who we are, or gives a rat's patoot. For someone who's high profile, it has FAR more damaging consequences. That's part of the territory when you are in the public eye and make big $$$ from it.

Spot on, WW.
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

SHKYBoonie

Postby SHKYBoonie » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:38 pm

I'm not down on Ted but I am tired of talking about him.[:D] Even if he didn't know the baiting laws for the State he was hunting in, that is no excuse. He should be fined, pay it and go on with life. Heck, I've been sighted before for stupid mistakes. Only once and it cost me the biggest buck I have ever taken. I do have the picture and the citation framed on the wall, but the buck was taken from me. This was all because I didn't know the game laws in that State as well as I thought I did. Realizing my fault, I paid the fine an went on. I do study all game laws when I go to another State NOW, particularly the ones about time limits on checking your game in! The problem is, the baiting laws in each State are worded like a riddle. Here in TN you can use certain attractants that don't classify as bait. Minerals sites are perfectly legal, feeding stations are not. Sometimes you have to ask an officer directly if a product falls under mineral or feed. I know other States are very "to the point" about both and that's the way it should be. But then they wouldn't be able to give citations on a technical difficulty. You can use C'mere Deer in TN, as well as many other products on the market because they are classified as a mineral not a food. Although we call it "Go Away Deer" because it seems to repel any deer in the area where we have used it in the past.[;)] Anyway, I assure you that when you see a video of the TV show hunters, most know what they can get away with in the area they are hunting. If Micheal was to get cited for a game law violation, it would do more harm to his career than what he would make from it if it goes un-noticed. You have to remember, these guys don't make a dime off the video itself. They make their money on endorsements and most companies don't like to have someone with a shady back ground endorse their products. It's just not a very productive means of advertisement, unless you are a "Bad Boy Rocker" like Ted.
Hunt as though your life depended on it, because one day it just might!

PreviousNext

Return to Breaking News