Wildgame Innovations IR4 initial impression

Goose

RE: Wildgame Innovations IR4 initial impression

Postby Goose » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:34 am

ORIGINAL: doit

Marc, u need to start a new Thread on your Recx,
You can't compare apple to oranges, your comparison testing is a waste of time and is useless info.
its a shame that the quality of the cameras are not consistent, I would have purchased a "10" IR4
but from what i heard the Trigger time is slower than the "09". mY "09" is 1 second. but than i heard other people
with "09" cams did not have a 1 second trigger. i guess i'm lucky.
i think most people, like me, are interested in the IR4 because the intended use for public land or semi private land.
Privileged people with large private land is a different story.
A good comparison/reliability test with sub 100.00 cameras or any other camera is multiple, maybe 3 of each camera stacked up, on the same target.
but really who would do that?

Frosty i look forward to the conclusion of your test.

Please be respectful on here. We ask for honest posts and we have no reason to believe these are not honest tests/reviews. I welcome the debates, but please do so with respect.
Thanks
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:55 am

Marc, u need to start a new Thread on your Recx,
You can't compare apple to oranges, your comparison testing is a waste of time and is useless info.
its a shame that the quality of the cameras are not consistent, I would have purchased a "10" IR4
but from what i heard the Trigger time is slower than the "09". mY "09" is 1 second. but than i heard other people
with "09" cams did not have a 1 second trigger. i guess i'm lucky.
i think most people, like me, are interested in the IR4 because the intended use for public land or semi private land.
Privileged people with large private land is a different story.
A good comparison/reliability test with sub 100.00 cameras or any other camera is multiple, maybe 3 of each camera stacked up, on the same target.
but really who would do that?

Frosty i look forward to the conclusion of your test.

Doit, I think I'm offering the readers some vital information here and not trying to sell them a camera. Here's the deal, when a doctor is looking for cancer in a patient, do you think he'll want to use a camera that works some of the time? Will he use a product that only shows some of the internal organs? Would he prefer to take a chance and only "hope" to see what's really in there? I think not. He wants the whole picture and so do I!

I'm a head hunter and a professional bow hunter, so I really need to know what's out there. Funny thing, this will be my first year hunting with a trail camera as I've been using other methods (mostly primitive) to find out where the big boys have been hiding. I did set one camera out last year but never used it to hunt with, I just wanted to see what was coming through my yard during the season.

I watch my pennies also doit! In fact, I have written many articles warning my readers not to fall victim to purchasing new equipment every year. I shot with the same bow for over 20 years and let me tell you, it was a tank :-) I truly understand today's economy and the burden many hunters have when having to decide what they can afford and what to purchase. My point is simply this: I feel I would rather somehow come up with the money, or invest in a product that performs then to spend money on a product that may or may not work. I am looking forward to testing some of the newer cameras and I stay in contact with Les Davenport, who in my opinion, is the most knowledgeable on this subject. What I don't have in my possession, he usually does or will have access to in the future. Believe me when I tell you I would love to have several $100.00 or less cameras that perform as well as the Reconyx's do!

One last note and this is my opinion, so don't be offended but I don't recommend anyone to use their trail cameras on public land as you stated above. I would hope someone who is limited to public ground to use other methods to scout for deer. I did for decades with some pretty good results. It really ruins your day when someone steals your stands or your cameras!

FYI, I have no affilation with Reconyx whatsoever, what I post here are just my results and opinions!
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

SHKYBoonie

Postby SHKYBoonie » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:46 pm

Marc, I have never considered anything I have read from you a "waste of time" by any means. I value your opinion as most do on this forum. I wouldn't bother trying to explain myself to someone who apparently doesn't want to hear it anyway.

The "apples to oranges" statement was kinda what I was getting at in an earlier post though. You really can't expect a $100 game cam to own up to the expectations of a $400+ game cam such as the Reconx just as you wouldn't compare a Daisy Red Rider to a Browning 7MM. They're both guns that shoot but that's where the similarities end. But, I do know that you are just trying to give us your best info on what you have seen. I'm just the kind of guy that would rather have 2 cams that do a pretty darn good job of keeping me informed rather than have 1 cam that does a really good job of keeping me informed.

As for cams in the $100 range that I feel are a good buy, the Stealth Cam 540IR can still be purchased new and use to be about $140. I have seen them recently for $99. I have 2 of these cams and they are about 3 years old now. I don't leave them out year round but they are still working for me right now. The battery life is decent at about 1500 pics per set. They take really good pics at 4MPs. They are easy to set up and I have had very little trouble from them. They have gotten moisture in them a few times and acted up, but taking them out and putting them somewhere to dry for a while usually fixed the problem.

These are a couple of pics taken by these cams.

Hunt as though your life depended on it, because one day it just might!

doit

Postby doit » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:54 pm

Goose, sorry if you think i was disrespectful, it was not my intension. I didn't realize its ok to Hijack a thread on hear but i guess that your call to make.
i think its great that Marc has alot to say about the reconyx. but shouldn't it be done in its own thread?
Do u guys see my point that this thread is on the IR4. That's Ok,
I have never heard of you or Les Davenport and really it doesn't matter who u are, its all about opinions. I can tell your a writer, or some kind of reporter and can respect that.
but "Head Hunter, Pro Hunter" what is that? How can you get paid to kill animals? you need sponsors, Right? My definition of a pro hunter is a person that excepts money from Company's to hype their products in whatever form Articles, Videos, on line forums. But you must be different since you are affiliated with Deer and Deer Hunting (the only publication I have subscribed to in the last 10 years or so because i believe it has Integrity and Honesty and is the best one out there for great mostly unbiased information.)
Your analogy of the Doctor is terrible, U like Lincoln I like Ford whatever they both get the job done. I get that u want the best product that suit your needs, we all want that. I feel u don't have to spend 400+ to get great pics of big bucks. All you need is some creativity. ive been doing it for a long time. Im not a Pro hunter but i am a very experienced one, ive been using this technology and filming my own hunts for a long time. FYI ive never had a camera or stand stolen.
I look forward to hear more about your reconyx experiences.

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:45 am

ORIGINAL: SHKYBoonie

Marc, I have never considered anything I have read from you a "waste of time" by any means. I value your opinion as most do on this forum. I wouldn't bother trying to explain myself to someone who apparently doesn't want to hear it anyway.

The "apples to oranges" statement was kinda what I was getting at in an earlier post though. You really can't expect a $100 game cam to own up to the expectations of a $400+ game cam such as the Reconx just as you wouldn't compare a Daisy Red Rider to a Browning 7MM. They're both guns that shoot but that's where the similarities end. But, I do know that you are just trying to give us your best info on what you have seen. I'm just the kind of guy that would rather have 2 cams that do a pretty darn good job of keeping me informed rather than have 1 cam that does a really good job of keeping me informed.

As for cams in the $100 range that I feel are a good buy, the Stealth Cam 540IR can still be purchased new and use to be about $140. I have seen them recently for $99. I have 2 of these cams and they are about 3 years old now. I don't leave them out year round but they are still working for me right now. The battery life is decent at about 1500 pics per set. They take really good pics at 4MPs. They are easy to set up and I have had very little trouble from them. They have gotten moisture in them a few times and acted up, but taking them out and putting them somewhere to dry for a while usually fixed the problem.

These are a couple of pics taken by these cams.

Sky, I understand where you are coming from and appreciate your comments and advice. I'm going to solicit Stealth Cam for an IR camera and see if I can test some! As mentioned earlier, I would love to find some in that price range that work well.

I also think it's important for me to explain why I mention the Reconyx. It's the standard I use to measure other cameras against. Because it's the best camera I've tested, no matter what the price range, I'm committed to using it as a model for accuracy. One of these days, I hope to find a camera that will perform as well as the Reconyx for hundreds less and with the help from posters like yourself, I can be closer to that objective. I appreciate all of the input here! I can assure you there is no hidden motive here!

P.S. Nice pics!
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:08 am

Goose, sorry if you think i was disrespectful, it was not my intension. I didn't realize its ok to Hijack a thread on hear but i guess that your call to make.
i think its great that Marc has alot to say about the reconyx. but shouldn't it be done in its own thread?
Do u guys see my point that this thread is on the IR4. That's Ok,
I have never heard of you or Les Davenport and really it doesn't matter who u are, its all about opinions. I can tell your a writer, or some kind of reporter and can respect that.
but "Head Hunter, Pro Hunter" what is that? How can you get paid to kill animals? you need sponsors, Right? My definition of a pro hunter is a person that excepts money from Company's to hype their products in whatever form Articles, Videos, on line forums. But you must be different since you are affiliated with Deer and Deer Hunting (the only publication I have subscribed to in the last 10 years or so because i believe it has Integrity and Honesty and is the best one out there for great mostly unbiased information.)
Your analogy of the Doctor is terrible, U like Lincoln I like Ford whatever they both get the job done. I get that u want the best product that suit your needs, we all want that. I feel u don't have to spend 400+ to get great pics of big bucks. All you need is some creativity. ive been doing it for a long time. Im not a Pro hunter but i am a very experienced one, ive been using this technology and filming my own hunts for a long time. FYI ive never had a camera or stand stolen.
I look forward to hear more about your reconyx experiences.

Doit, I didn't consider your post disrespectful, no need to worry. I would like to answer some questions for you.

1. I am not affiliated with D&DH magazine. I am a freelance writer, I own a hunting product testing company and yes, I hunt for pleasure and for work.

2. No, I do not get paid, like you stated above, to kill animals. I get paid by no one. I am on the Pro Staff of several companies and only by choice. I hunt with the products I've tested to be either satisfactory or outstanding. When I hunt, although it's for pleasure, I also do it to gain knowledge for several reasons. Some of those reasons are: For better articles, better strategies, to test hunting products, to offer advice to the companies that I Pro Staff for and to keep not-so honest companies in line. So, yes, I do this as my trade and professionally. This is not my bread and butter though as I also am self employed in other fields.

3. Les Davenport IS affiliated with D&DH magazine and has written some articles regarding camera testing. He's very thorough and would be a great source to anyone looking for in depth advice.

4. I disagree with you regarding the "analogy" you stated above. It's not about liking Lincoln or Ford, it's about seeing everything that walks by a particular spot, period. The doctor example I thought was a great one. If you were fighting cancer, wouldn't you want to know everything regarding your internal organ status? I wouldn't want some camera only picking up some of the picture, I would want to see it all! That's how I feel about the timbers I hunt. Whether or not I use a camera, I will set all sorts of traps (not in the conventional sense) that a buck will trigger letting me know where he is and where he'll be. The trail camera is obviously a great tool in that respect.

As far as changing threads, I feel this was appropriate. If the administrators think different, I'll respect that! Thanks for the comments! I respect your opinion!!!

doit

Postby doit » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:58 am

Thanks for filling me in. Since i am new to this site it will take time to get to know who people are and what they are all about.
You are fortunate to be in the position your in, thats something every outdoors person would want. I would love to do what you do.
but like im starting to see on this forum it problably involves alot of arc kissing, which i don't have the instinct to do. call em like i see em.
Call me Jealous if you want or anything else you like, I love it when people have the Balls to say what's really on their mind and respect that.
Ck out chasingame.com . I beleive these guys have it down.
please let me know the products you pro staff or where i can find out the BIO info on all the Forum pro staffers.
Have a great weekend.

God Bless America.

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:33 am

Thanks for filling me in. Since i am new to this site it will take time to get to know who people are and what they are all about.
You are fortunate to be in the position your in, thats something every outdoors person would want. I would love to do what you do.
but like im starting to see on this forum it problably involves alot of arc kissing, which i don't have the instinct to do. call em like i see em.
Call me Jealous if you want or anything else you like, I love it when people have the Balls to say what's really on their mind and respect that.
Ck out chasingame.com . I beleive these guys have it down.
please let me know the products you pro staff or where i can find out the BIO info on all the Forum pro staffers.
Have a great weekend.

God Bless America.

Doit, I don't think you'll find too many a$$ kissers, like you mentioned, here. I'm sorry you get that feeling. In fact, this is the only forum I ever write on because they're aren't many "kissers". I enjoy being here because of the fact the people here are very mature. Don't get me wrong, we have our differences but we handle it in more of an adult-like fashion. We have all types of hunters on this forum, which makes it even more intriguing. We all share our experiences which extends to both ends of the spectrum.

I have learned and have gained experience through all types of hunters, being seasoned or cadets. Once you get to a point where you think you know it all, you're finished. We all have something to learn and I'll look forward to seeing what you have to offer! One thing for sure, people here DO have the guts to say what they think and if you go back a ways into the forum, you'll see. We just have evolved to eliminate the name calling.

I think when I say that most every poster on this forum has learned to respect each other, you'll find that statement true. Do we get into heated arguments? Yeah, every once in a while but we avoid the name calling and eventually open our minds a bit to consider what the other people are saying.

With regard to you comment of a$$ kissing to become a pro staffer I can tell you these words of wisdom: Any person wanting to become a pro staffer for any company must be able to pull their weight. I'm sure there are many people "kissing" but I can assure you that's not why they got their staff position. In fact, it's quite the contrary. Thousands of hunters are constantly soliciting companies for pro staff positions only to be turned down. What a company really wants is a person they'll know WON'T sell them out. Think of this: Would you trust anyone who wanted to pro staff so bad that they would say anything to you just to please you? Of course not, because you know that person would run away with the next company that gave them a better offer. The best way to become a pro staffer for any company is to do what you love ethically and with a lot of heart and you'll be discovered by someone. NEVER try to market yourself as that is a great big NO. Does this mean you have to stick with a company because they hired you? Not at all, in fact I left a company and never replaced that position with any other company simply because I haven't found an honest alternative. Anyway, I think you get the point.

So, welcome aboard! As far as finding the BIO's for all of the "forum pro staffers", I don't know where to send you for that. Sooner or later, someone will though! Good luck this season and looking forward to more of your contributions!

Goose

Postby Goose » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:13 am

I think when I say that most every poster on this forum has learned to respect each other, you'll find that statement true. Do we get into heated arguments? Yeah, every once in a while but we avoid the name calling and eventually open our minds a bit to consider what the other people are saying.

Well said and it is our goal.

Here are some older bios for the web pro staff - http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/WebProStaff/
I believe most of them are about 2 years old now.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

SHKYBoonie

Postby SHKYBoonie » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:23 am

doit, I have spent alot of time on this forum from time to time. One thing about it is everyone has opinions of what they think works or not. Some are the same but most times they are different. The difference is in how you state your opinion. You don't have to get rude to express your differences in opinion, you can be respectful and in disagreement at the same time. It's all about respecting each other as hunters that all have a great passion for being one on one with the game we chase. I am not a pro staffer but have been at this for a very long time. I have learned from some of the best, IMO, regardless of if they were well know in the hunting industry or not. I have learned mostly from my own mistakes. I have been a student of the game I pursue and they seem to teach me lessons over and over.[:)] I have to take breaks from the forum from time to time just because it sometimes gets to be a big circle with the same topics being discussed over and over by the same people trying to press their ideas or opinions into everyone else. I don't always agree with what is said, but I do listen most of the time. I am a very opinionated person myself and not afraid to speak what I believe. I have learned over the years to only debate topics that you have first hand knowledge of, not of things you "think" or heard. I have learned alot from some of the people on this forum and when we are disagreeing with each other, we can still show respect. You don't have to respect someone because they are a "pro staffer" or "hunting celebrity", you respect them because they are fellow hunters and outdoorsmen. After all, we ALL have to stick together at some point just to protect our heritage and passion for what we do as sportsmen who love the chase of the hunt.

I'm sure at some point I will read something you posted and it will make me think about what I thought I knew all along. It may even change my opinion of what I thought before. It has happened many times already.

The reason there isn't alot of discussion about the WGI IR4 cams is because they aren't very popular. IMO, they don't have a reputation for being very good products. Speaking from my own experiance with these cams, I wouldn't waste my money! There are much better cams on the market for around the same price range. To me, the WildView cams are better cams than the IR4s and they start at around $65 for a regular flash and about $90 for the IR version. As I mentioned before the Stealth Cam lower priced units seem to be very good products. I have had very good service out of both of these brands and I don't think I paid over $140 for any of these units.
Hunt as though your life depended on it, because one day it just might!

PreviousNext

Return to Scouting Cameras