Will the price of gas

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
fasteddie

Will the price of gas

Postby fasteddie » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:54 pm

Will the price of gas affect your hunting ? I am looking for places closer to home to hunt . I asked a friend from church that I have known for years and she said I can hunt their property . It's a wooded area with a bunch of old BMX trails on it . I will have to put out some scouting cameras . It's less than 1/2 mile away as the crow flies ! Yeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaa !

bckklr

RE: Will the price of gas

Postby bckklr » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:57 am

yeah ed i'm the same way i'm fortunit enuf 2 have 6/7 farms/pcs of property to hunt but i've been putting most of my efforts on the ones closest to home my biggest delima is a farm i have leased next to one of my better properties i have to bush hog 200 acres to have it & if i dont they find someone who will & they shoot everything spike & up w/deisel being 5 bucks a gal it makes it a tuff decision spend the money or cuss myself all season 'cause bill & his 8 buds keep shootin' every 15 mins.what 2 do what 2 do     

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:13 pm

here in michigan the gas is $4.15 a gal! im lucky enough to have a spot a mile away and  a spot 8 miles away. a buddy and i are going on two hunting trips up to the UP this year, one for gun and one for bow. gas is going to kill us, but ive been using my speedy rewards card a lot and am only about 10,000 points from getting a free $100 gas card. so i should have those points by deer season. the only thing i can say is save about $30-$40 bucks each paycheck till season and then use that for gas money or for camp money. ive been doing that for years and it seems to work out really nice.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:23 am

I'm lucky enough to live on near 50 acres so I really don't have to drive the 40 miles to our hunting camp...though I will for bear and muzzle season...NY has shorttened our bow season this year so my main efforts are here ....We can stay at camp because it has a sm 2 bedroom house....

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:26 am

Not really. I'll fly to MI to hunt family land. Unless of course the flights get up around $500 [&:]

Here in the south, there will be two of us and the drive is only 1.5 hours +/- so it shouldn't affect anything.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:15 am

my camp is over 2 hours away, i will hunt the same as last year for a few days at the beginning of the season a week at the rut and a few days of gun and maybe the last week of bow in january if i still have a tag... it will effect how many times i go to check on my 8 food plots and how much extra money i have to put down fertilizer.

But really is there a hunter out there that would not go hunting...i'd rather give up my wife and kids!!! and would if it was a this or that question.

shadow

Postby shadow » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:10 pm

It really won't affect me at all, the land I hunt is only about 5 miles away. I am however looking to find other places an hour or so from me so I am sure that if I do find some property elsewhere chances are it will hurt us some with the high gas prices. I will just need to start planing out the errands so I don't drive around and waste the gas.

Today in Conn., we are paying 4.25 a gallon and I saw on the national news this a.m. an analyst that GUARANTEES that we will all be paying 5.50 a gallon by the end of summer. He indicates that a barrel of oil priced at around 85 or 89 dollars equates to the 4.00 a gallon price, but, the price per barrell is actually over 130.00 so that equals 5.50 per gallon, the prices on gas he said will continue to rise until it balances out with the price per barrel. $5.50 per gallon!

Why cant they (the automakers) take a small gas engine like from a Prius or ATV and power a full size car or truck and use gearing to help the towing and hauling capabilities. Some of these ATVs or UHVs or whatever there called, already haul 4-5 people and cargo and get good mileage.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:58 pm

I'd say my spots that are closer to home will get hit harder, and the far away ones will get visited less frequently.  I can actually hunt the woods right around my house, even tho I'm almost in the suburbs.  Most of my other spots are fairly close too.  Oddly, the herd reduction efforts in my state (Pa) have worked best up by my camp, so I probably wont hunt there at all.  So, that's a 2.5 hour trip I wont have to make.

lonlon

Postby lonlon » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:25 pm

Drove to Northern Wis to check out my bear stand for this Fall, four of us in one pickup and a trailer going to WY this fall instead of two trucks, will return in Nov for SD deer. Will put off next years Quebec caribou hunt, price of chooper fuel has added 3 grand to the qoute we got last year, life is good but short, enjoy it now!

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:40 am

Our property is about 150 miles away.  It will not effect how much I hunt, but it has effected how often I visit the property in the off season to manage food plots, cut timber, upgrade and repair things.

In previous years my brother and I would go up about every other weekend and Friday to fish and take care of things during the off season.  This year, it's down to about once per month, although we've added an extra day to the visits. 

Next

Return to General Discussions