Infra-Red triggered camera

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Robert Rowland

Infra-Red triggered camera

Postby Robert Rowland » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:42 pm

I learned a lesson about camera placement last weekend. I had a trail cam in a doe/fawn area and had it facing East. When I downloaded the pictures I had several frames of the sunrise with no deer in those pictures.  It appears that the sunrise set off the IR trigger. Has anyone else had this happen?

FFKEVIN

RE: Infra-Red triggered camera

Postby FFKEVIN » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:26 pm

Robert,
[font=tahoma] [/font]
We definitely learned this the hard way as well.  Now we take a compass out and try to face the camera as close to north as we can.  Also, when there is foliage across from the camera, the sun in the morning warming the leaves will sometimes set off the camera.
[font=tahoma] [/font]
Here is a web site that has a lot of good suggestions on trail camera mounting and use -

http://www.chasingame.com/hintsandtips.htm
[font=tahoma] [/font]

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:00 pm

I had the same trouble with my older Moultrie 35mm trail camera and the newer digital camera also,when the leaves fell off the tree's and the sun came up in the mornings as it crossed over in front of the camera it would set it off several times with nothing in front of it.I changed the direction this winter/spring and it did much better with no false triggering.I will set it back up the same direction I usually aim it because it picks up pictures better where the deer cross in the mornings and evenings now that the foliage it back on the tree's. 

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:16 pm

Thanks for the input guys.  I've been hunting a long time, but have not used trail cams much. My first trail cam was a cheap 35mm. I tried to catch the deer where they had been feeding on standing corn, and got 27 pictures of blowing corn stalks. That was lesson #1.

Return to General Discussions