Deer Hunting at Rend Lake

pmsmith2032

Deer Hunting at Rend Lake

Postby pmsmith2032 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:50 am

Someone recommended Rend Lake as a possible spot for an upcoming archery hunt and I  am trying to obtain more information on the area.  How many huntable acres are available?  Are there seperate areas for both the DNR and the Army Corp of Engineers?  How does the deer herd look this year?  What are the specific regulations at this site (permits, sign-in, treestands, etc?)?  Does the area receive a lot of pressure during archery season (we would be hunting the entire first week of November)?  Is there an open campground nearby with showers available?  Thanks in advance!

bobow

RE: Deer Hunting at Rend Lake

Postby bobow » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:06 am

I am not familiar with Rend Lake but clicking on this link may with your research: IL Public Hunting Areas

HTH
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

SoIll Dawg

Postby SoIll Dawg » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:51 am

Here is the info.  1500 acres of hunting in the state park.  I am not sure about the rest of the lake as it is under jurisdiction of the US Army Corps of Engineers.

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/Parks/Pages/default.aspx

Wayne Fitzgerald is around 3000 acres.  Fairly flat ground (southern Illinois flat, not central Illinois flat).  There are big deer there (150 inch plus), you just have to be willing to hunt areas that are not as easily accessible to foot traffic.

Begin by contacting the state park, as there are additional rules that apply.  I camp there a couple of times a year and it is a really nice place.  Not sure if the showers are open in November, but it is the best place I have ever camped.

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:01 am

I wrote an article on Wayne Fitzgerald park 2 years ago after personally staying there for 2 days. It is an incredible place and a real "sleeper" for big bucks! It's in Franklin Co. and doesn't carry the notoriety of the counties in west central, IL. but is every bit as good IMO! You can stay at the Rend Lake lodge and hunt your brains off. Most of the good hunting is very remote, so be prepared to walk but there is PLENTY of deer there!

Good luck!
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

SoIll Dawg

Postby SoIll Dawg » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:34 am

Just asked the wife if we can "camp" there in October.[;)]  Hope to do some scouting there in September then hunt it for a 4 day weekend in October.

Return to Illinois