2010 Season Roll Call

soxfan

RE: 2010 Season Roll Call

Postby soxfan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:55 pm

Sorry guys, I cant make it thursday. My girls mothers birthday and I cant miss it because I missed both of her sisters b-day parties because I was hunting. I can make it wednesday, friday, or any night next week.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:18 pm

Ok buddy, no worries...gents lets re-cock for another time, I'd really like to get us all together if thats ok with ya'll?  So this Thursday I guess is out...let me know what days and times work for you all and we'll go from there?

huntingwithdaughters

Postby huntingwithdaughters » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:38 pm

I'm a newbie to the forum here in Fair Lawn, NJ I have been hunting and fishing for 50 years and I am still learning.

I'm in for meeting up with other deer and bear hunters. Trying to organize a deer or bear drive in Sussex County. Any interest?

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:55 pm

Welcome to the forums HWD.  I do all my hunting here in Jersey froma tree stand w/ bow and avoid being in the woods during the 6 day firearms season.  Just seen way too many knuckleheads doing unsafe things.  Some of the others might have an interest.  Will let you know when we get together, I'm hoping it will be before the Opener on 2 Oct.

BTW anyone heading out for the early season opener this Saturday?  I've decided to give it a shot and see if I can take my doe early this year.  My mistake last year was waiting for that special buck to show up and when he didn't I found myself taing a doe on the last day of nearly the last hour of winter bow.

soxfan

Postby soxfan » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:41 pm

Hey Deano, hope you nail one early this year. Rayningblood and I will be out Monday. I have my son for the weekend so I wont be able to go on Saturday.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:35 pm

Well here is my report for the 9/11 EAB opener.  I did not have a lot of time to scout so opted to go to my usual stand, where I've generally seen does.  Got in nice an early to ensure I don't bump any deer, so by 4:30 I'm walking in to my spot...no sooner I get into the field a deer starts snorting in the field...then as I clear the field and get into the woods, they come alive, snorting from every direction, deer scrambling, lol...it was quite a show.  I did a little snorting myself to try and keep them around but eventually they caught on and moved on.  So not a deer in sight all morning.  By 10am i got off my stand and started some impromptu scouting of a few spots I've been meaning to scout and found a couple more setups to include in my hip pocket.  For the evening hunt I decided to go to my reliable stand, deeper in.  I've always seen doe there, and as I'm walking in around 2:30pm I bumped a few.  Only problem was as I got half way through and the vegetation became impassable...the grass was at my chest level and when I finally arrived at my stand it was overgrown and would have taken considerable clearing to get into shape.  Not to mention it was hotter then hell and I was beginning to sweat just from the walk in.  if I did nail a doe she'd of been tough to follow in the high grasses, tougher still to drag out through a half mile of chest high grass.  Soooo..long story short I opted for one of my new stands, closer to the road and bordering a bean field.  Lots of well worn trails and it was obvious the deer were passing through here...just not sure what time.  Got settled in by 3:30 and the afternoon was uneventful until 7:20.  I turned around and saw a lone doe on the edge of the woods and bean field and she was headed my way...and she had 3 other does in tow as well.  Unfortunately the all came straight on and did not present a good shot.  Then they stopped right under my stand and mulled around for another 10 minutes..meanwhile the clock is ticking...in 10 minutes it would be to dark to shoot.  They finally moved on from my tree stand but in a straight away fashion..at one point I had a 10 yard shot but she was quartering away from behind just ever so slightly..it was just too risky a shot for me and given my previous history i did not want to chance it.  So they moved on and just as they were out of range it was too dark to see them at that point.  so that was my day...did not get a chance to go out today, but will again one morning during the week...hope to seal the deal then.  Good luck tomorrow Soxfan, post a pic if ya nail one.

MassMan20

Postby MassMan20 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:27 am

Whats up guys....Been along time hope everyone had a nice summer...got out sat morning and took a nice doe at 15yds around 8:15..will be haeding out this afternoon..update you guys in the morning

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:43 pm

Congrats and welcome back massman...keep us posted! I'll hopefully be heading out again Thursday morning

soxfan

Postby soxfan » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:27 am

congrats Massman. Rayningblood and I went out Monday and I was outfoxed by the deer again. We hunted in our new stands in the morning and didnt see anything. On our way out we took the long way past my old stand. As we reached the stand we saw 5 deer. So after lunch I decided to sit in my old stand, and you guest it, Rayningblood text me telling me I had 3 does feeding on my corn pile for a 1/2 hr!!! Needless to say I will be in my new stand Friday evening.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:46 pm

ok I'll be on stand tomorrow morning gents...hopefully I'll have good news to report.  Hang tough Soxfan..their number is up!  I think its great you are both hunting together..I think we all need to get together for a hunt...did you guys get your permits for Monmouth County Parks?  I'll be getting mine next week...but lets see if we can't get together for a hunt before the regular season opener.

MassMan - I got the Z7 a month ago, very similar setup to yours QAD HD Rest, Optix Xr2 Site..i love it but having a devil of a time paper tuning it...but its fast and smooth!

PreviousNext

Return to New Jersey