Does anyone use Google Earth?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Jslotter

Does anyone use Google Earth?

Postby Jslotter » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:51 am

I been using this for a few years. You really get a better knowledge how the terrain you hunt affects deer movement and behavior. There are features on there you can use to mark hot spots and other cool little tools. Here is a pic of some of the land I hunt. Looking from east to west.

[img][img]http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y324/jslot/theland7.jpg[/img]/image]
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Gulfcapt

RE: Does anyone use Google Earth?

Postby Gulfcapt » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:27 pm

I sure do Jslotter. When I want to give a new area a try I'll google Earth/ Bing maps it I have found that Bing maps is alot better click on birds eye view! NICE pics

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:43 am

Never tried bing maps. gonna look into that. I always used those old aerial plat books that really give a vague view of the terrain and came in black and white. Whoever invented this type of stuff needs a pat on the back.

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:20 am

IM sorry Jslotter Go to Bing maps top of the map you will see aerial click on it

USN_Sam1385

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:37 am

Wow, that is MUCH clearer than the Google Earth images that I have. Are you using some type of premium service or something??? 

fr0sty

Postby fr0sty » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:14 am

I make gps waypoints for my stands, where I shot my deer and where I recover them.  I also tracked the logging trails in our swamp.  I import all that stuff into google maps.  It's cool to see a map of my land with all that stuff on it.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:07 pm

I downloaded bing maps today. I really like it lot. However there are some things I dont like about. I like the fact the resolution is alot clearer than google maps, and bing maps blows google maps away when it comes to navigation. Does bing maps have a better tool bar? All I got is a zoom in, tilt, and toggle features on mine. Thats about the only beef I have on bing maps at this time. I dont know if I am not seeing more than there is for a tool bar.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:11 pm

ORIGINAL: USN_Sam1385

Wow, that is MUCH clearer than the Google Earth images that I have. Are you using some type of premium service or something??? 

No, I just tilt to about 700 ft. elevation and change the daylight feature to late afternoon on the map and you really get the contours of the terrain alot better.

Wolfman

Postby Wolfman » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:43 pm

ORIGINAL: Jslotter

I downloaded bing maps today. I really like it lot. However there are some things I dont like about. I like the fact the resolution is alot clearer than google maps, and bing maps blows google maps away when it comes to navigation. Does bing maps have a better tool bar? All I got is a zoom in, tilt, and toggle features on mine. Thats about the only beef I have on bing maps at this time. I dont know if I am not seeing more than there is for a tool bar.

[font="Courier New"]With the Bing maps, select Bird's eye view. It allows you to select the view orientation. In other words, you can turn the map so you are viewing from a North, South, West or East view. I find that very useful. [/font]
IF YOU'RE NOT PART OF THE SOLUTION, THEN YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:22 pm

If any of you happen along a tool bar on Bing like google map has, by all means let me know please.

Come on hunting season!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Next

Return to Best Practices