Shotgun Question:

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
USN_Sam1385

Shotgun Question:

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:30 am

Hey guys.

I am not a big shotgun guy, and do not know that much about shotguns. I am a Remington 700 guy, have two and know just about everything one can know about them.

So, here comes my question:

This year I am taking a friend of mine named Ryan hunting, to try and help him get his first deer. He has been hunting 2 or 3 times before, but did not have a good mentor or decent property, and was not able to get a deer. So, I offered to take him hunting, on a prime wooded 13 acre spot I hunt, during the early "Urban Zones" portion of the season, which falls Oct. 13-15 about a month before Firearms season.

Here is the dilemma; Ryan is an ex-marine, and is incredibly comfortable shooting open sights, but not very comfortable with a scope. He has trouble with eye relief, and thus has trouble obtaining a full and clear sight picture.
So... instead of having him use my scoped .270 or .308, I suggested that he use my Remington 870 Super Magnum, with a Saboted slug. I have never used that config. for deer hunting, but after reading several things it seems appropriate.

First, I have the stock 870 Super Magnum, so I believe that it has the 'Modified' choke in it. Is that correct?

Can we shoot a slug with the stock barrel and the stock modified choke that is in it?

What distance can we expect accuracy out to?

After reading this thread, and reviews at Cabela's, the 12 guage Lightfield slugs seem like a confident choice. Is that appropriate for this set up?? Most of my shots on this property have been equal to or under 40 yards.

Thanks guys.

MSHunter

RE: Shotgun Question:

Postby MSHunter » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:50 am

Hi Sam,
I'm no shotgun expert either. I've always heard that when shooting slugs in a non rifled barrel, to use the improved cylinder choke tube or cylinder choke tube, nothing smaller. I've never used Lightfield slugs, but I would suggest a rifled slug of some sort. As for distance, you should be good out to around 100 yards. One other suggestion would be to order a rifled choke tube from Cabelas for your shotgun. With this you should be able to fire just about any slug and not worry about the constriction of the choke tube.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:45 am

I shoot a browning 20ga... rib vent bead sight...modified choke 28" smooth bore barrel and have no problems at all using Brenneke 3" mags out of it and being accurate at 100 yrds with dropping power...good luck...but with each gun you have a different shooting accuracy with different slug...he may want to practice with different brands  

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:52 am

ORIGINAL: USN_Sam1385

After reading this thread, and reviews at Cabela's, the 12 guage Lightfield slugs seem like a confident choice. Is that appropriate for this set up?? Most of my shots on this property have been equal to or under 40 yards.

Thanks guys.

You can't go wrong with Lightfield slugs in an 870. Have him get a rifled choke tube for his barrel, and the 2-3/4" Hybred Lites reduced velocity load. They're recommended for use with choke tubes. For me they grouped very well at 100 yards, and that's farther than he's likely to shoot a deer on a 13 acre piece of land. Check out what I said here.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:09 am

Are you limited to shotgun only for this hunt?  If not, do you know anyone with a .30-30 with peep sights?  That would be a better setup in my mind and not much more than what he'd be used to recoil wise from service arms.  A 12 gauge slug has quite a bit of recoil to it.  Without a rifled barrel, don't waste your money on sabot slugs.  The best slugs for a smooth barrel in my experience are the Brennekes, not the cheapest choice, but very accurate.

USN_Sam1385

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:24 am

ORIGINAL: Dan Salmon

Are you limited to shotgun only for this hunt?  If not, do you know anyone with a .30-30 with peep sights?  That would be a better setup in my mind and not much more than what he'd be used to recoil wise from service arms.  A 12 gauge slug has quite a bit of recoil to it.  Without a rifled barrel, don't waste your money on sabot slugs.  The best slugs for a smooth barrel in my experience are the Brennekes, not the cheapest choice, but very accurate.

We are not limited to shotgun only, however besides my .308 and .270, it is the only other "deer appropriate' firearm in my safe. I do not think that he should buy the rifled choke tube, as this is a One time affair, and he isn't even using his own gun.

So, you are saying to go with these:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... m23&Go.x=0

Leave my set up just how it is, and of course, we will be practicing in advance.

USN_Sam1385

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:25 am

ORIGINAL: USN_Sam1385

ORIGINAL: Dan Salmon

We are not limited to shotgun only, however besides my .308 and .270, it is the only other "deer appropriate' firearm in my safe. I do not think that he should buy the rifled choke tube, as this is a One time affair, and he isn't even using his own gun.

So, you are saying to go with these:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0061958216259a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Product_liberal&QueryText=brennekes&sort=all&Go.y=0&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=0

Leave my set up just how it is, and of course, we will be practicing in advance.

Dan, Just looked again, and it says that the Brenneke's are for rifled barrels only.

USN_Sam1385

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:35 am

To be perfectly honest boys; I do not need the 'best of the best' slug, or even a great slug.

Rather, I simply want a reliable and adequate slug that will put a deer down within about 50 yards, without having to modify my stock Remington 870 12 guage Super mag.

Which slug at Cabela's will do that for me?

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:48 am

Nope.  I would go with these:

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=91134

Truth be told, these will probably work just as well and you could probably find them locally:

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=73473

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=73479

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=73470

Also, if for no other reason than better sighting maybe try something like this instead of just the plain old bead on the barrel. 

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/image_s.htm

I will agree with you though, lots and lots of deer have been killed with plain old bird barrels & the bead sight.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:54 pm

and I have the pics to prove it[;)]......

Next

Return to Guns and Ammo