Deer Hunting in Menominee County

pmsmith2032

Deer Hunting in Menominee County

Postby pmsmith2032 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:48 am

After much discussion, my hunting party (my Dad, a family friend, and myself) have decided to bowhunt Menominee County the first week of November. We normally hunt north central Wisconsin, but due to low deer numbers and no antlerless tags this year, we have decided to try a new area. We hunted Menominee about 20 years ago but have not been back since. I am hoping someone might be able to give us some tips/guidance as we won't be able to make it up ahead of time to scout. We are thinking of concentrating on the southwest portion of the county as we will most likely be staying in Stephenson.

On another note, I maybe able to offer a hunting opportunity in the central UP if someone has land in southern Menominee that they are willing to let us hunt. Thanks in advance! [/align]Image[/align]

DeerCamp

RE: Deer Hunting in Menominee County

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:44 am

Try looking at large areas of state land, our group only hunts state land in the UP and we have ALWAYS done very well! Once you have found some state land, crack out those tops/arials. Thats about the best advice I can give if you are unable to make it up to do a lot of scouting before the season. I wish your group luck though.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

smitty

Postby smitty » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:36 pm

About the best thing you can do is go to the Menominee County Journal office right in Stephenson and get a plat book. They are about 40 bucks.  There is a lot of good state land in that area and north.  Westman Dam road (off G-12) might be a good place to start especially up by devils creek.  I dont think many people bow hunt it but it is kind of a zoo during rifle season. Another good spot is up north west of Stephenson by Linnbeck Lake.
"Freedom Isn't Free"

Crookedneck

Postby Crookedneck » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:45 pm

your best bet for finding a place to hunt is going to be the central part of the county and north. There isn't a whole lot of public land in the southern part. your best bet is going to be during bow season. Once rifle season starts you are going to have a heck of a time finding a place to hunt that doesn't already have a bunch of people from a little place called Illinois. If you don't have resevations made for a place to stay do it as soon as possible.

Smitty hit the nail on the head about getting a plat book. There is quite a bit of paper and public service land that is in those books.

Smitty,
I know exactly how much Freedom costs! It cost a buck 0 five!

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:48 am

There are absolutely no deer in Menominee County.  I wouldn't waste your time. [:D][;)]  Just kiddin'  just doing my part by keeping the non-locals out and keeping all the big boys to myself.  LOL!!!

Anyway, you can't go wrong in southern Menominee as far as deer numbers and size of bucks.  HOwever, good luck finding public land free of hunters as it's few and far between with most of the tracts being large farming operations.  Most small public tracts are taken up as there are a lot of bowhunters that already "claimed" their spots and are ruthless to outsiders that they believe infringe on "their" territory.  Just about everyone I know bowhunts in my county, but on the other hand numbers are dwidling with the kids these days.  In any case, good luck and post some pics if you head this way and tag one as I always like to see a nice buck taken around these parts.  It gets even crazier during gun season and I don't even set foot on public land during it.  Too many weirdo's not knowing what they are doing that will shoot at anything that walks.  Northern Menominee county reaps more land that is owned by paper companys and is CFR.  get a plat, do your homework, and you'll be just fine.
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

Return to Michigan