Does anyone use Google Earth?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Sailfish

RE: Does anyone use Google Earth?

Postby Sailfish » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:11 am

That bib birds eye view is DETAILED
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:08 am

I tried that bird's eye view on bing maps and its not available for my area I guess. I did learn something new on there and you all probably already know but you can tilt so much easier by holding down the control key and the right click button on your mouse at the same time. Wow. [:D]
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:32 am

there would be a few less racks on my wall and meat in the freezer if it weren't for google earth.

Priceless.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:34 pm

ORIGINAL: Jslotter

I tried that bird's eye view on bing maps and its not available for my area I guess. I did learn something new on there and you all probably already know but you can tilt so much easier by holding down the control key and the right click button on your mouse at the same time. Wow. [:D]

TILT???

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:22 am

How do I get my google earth to show the hills/saddles like you have done? Mine is just flat like bing maps.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

DeerAddict

Postby DeerAddict » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:26 am

I have the same problem as you DeerCamp... All the terrain is just flat... No hills r anything shown... Not sure why

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:49 am

ORIGINAL: DeerCamp

How do I get my google earth to show the hills/saddles like you have done? Mine is just flat like bing maps.

Ok, To get a view of terrain from an angle, zoom in to about 2800 ft elevation and you can see the elevation at the bottom right corner below the google sign. In the right upper corner there are two circle navigation pads. The one on top has Direction North on it. Click on the blue arrow that is below the "N" and the view should tilt to an angle as you click at it.

To show the terrain features real good there should be a tool bar on the top of your map. You will see a row of icons going left to right like the yellow thumb tack, an envelope, a sun with a cloud, a clock, a planet looking thing. Click on the one with the sun on it and you can adjust the daylight by moving the marker left and right by right clicking your mouse on it. To easy. If you dont see any of the stuff Im talking about, then I dont know.

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:50 am

I downloaded the plugin last night and tried Google Earth. I wasn't able to view the controls. I had white patches where the controls should be. I was able to manipulate the views, but I had no idea exactly what control was being used since I could not see them. I uninstalled the plugin.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:33 pm

Let me know where you hunt and I will do my best to find and get you a detailed aerial pic of your area and post it here. And all you would have to do is click and save image to your PC.

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:43 am

I found what I think is even a better link Google (earth scope)

click (data access)

then click(earthscope data patrol)

then click(satellite)

This is even better up close

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices