Harness

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
bad faulkner

Harness

Postby bad faulkner » Tue May 13, 2008 5:38 am

Anyone have a preference?

Anyone have a harness that saved them from falling?

I'm going from box stands to ladders and hang ons this year, from hunting in Taj Mahal type set ups to more rugged setups and in the market for good harnesses for me, my son, and any guests. 

mhouck06

RE: Harness

Postby mhouck06 » Tue May 13, 2008 9:01 am

most good ladder stands come with some sort of harness, but i would reccoment a full body harness. they usually balance the impact on your whole body and they dont let you fall very far. i used to use a "gut-belt" type harness, but those can damage internal organs if you happen to fall. the gut-belts are easier to use and move around in, but for all around safety, a full body harness of any kind is the way to go.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Tue May 13, 2008 9:24 am

a full body harness is a must.i use hunter safety systems.they are a vest typewith straps that go around the legs and a buit in lanyard.it also comes with a strap for attaching it to the tree.adjust the height so that when your sitting its almost compleatly extended you dont want to drop and have it snap you.I worked on billboards for a living and my harness has saved my life more than once..By the way they only work if you put it on EVERY TIME
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

bad faulkner

Postby bad faulkner » Wed May 14, 2008 6:33 am

Mhouck...you're right.  My new ladder did indeed come with one new harness, but only one, and it's a two man stand.  I'm going to invest in one like Joel recommended.  Thanks, guys. 

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Tue May 20, 2008 5:01 pm

the HSS has the added bonus of being very easy to put on in the dark,no fumbling around with straps
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:26 pm

Ask a hunting buddy for an extra. Every stand I've ever bought came with one... and I must have 5 or 6 new harnesses still in the plastic just laying around. 

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:06 am

ORIGINAL: JOEL

the HSS has the added bonus of being very easy to put on in the dark,no fumbling around with straps

I have heard great things about them (HSS) as well
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:57 am

I use the HSS and love it.  Have the mesh version.  Not only is it easy to put on, but I can always find something to put in the extra pockets it provides.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:36 pm

Harness: Never leave the ground without it.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:27 pm

Ihave the Hunter Safety system and carry it to my stand in a cloth bag . I put it on and cover the bag with leaves and climb into the stand . I never leave home without it !

Next

Return to Tree Stands