Why do so many of us always want a new rifle?

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
cullbuck

Why do so many of us always want a new rifle?

Postby cullbuck » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:14 pm

What is it about getting some new and different deer rifle? I have two bolt actions in 270 and a 7mm-08, each has produced several one-shot kills. Actually, I've never had to shoot a deer more than once with one of those guns (I'm lucky, and each gun is fairly new). So why is it I feel like I want something else all the time? It is not like I want to get rid of one of my current guns and I won't), but I seem to get a fetish for a certain rifle/caliber and find myself getting it evetually. I see several of you own a bunch of guns. Can't use but one at a time, and each one kills deer as dead as the next one. I don't understand why I succumb to wanting more guns (I own like 22 guns, most are shotguns).

mightyfofaad

RE: Why do so many of us always want a new rifle?

Postby mightyfofaad » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:09 pm

[font="Arial"]Duh ... you are male, aren't you?[/font] [8D]

cullbuck

Postby cullbuck » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:23 pm

Yeah,....okay. So I'll go out and get the new gun I want!

whitetailtime

Postby whitetailtime » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:31 pm

The reason we want more guns is the same reason women want more diamonds.

hunt4fun

Postby hunt4fun » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:36 pm

I'm in the same boat, only with shotguns.  I have two, and between the two, they cover pretty much all the bases for me from dove to turkeys, but I really want a new shotgun, and for some reason in all black.  I just cant help myself I guess.

cullbuck

Postby cullbuck » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:17 am

ORIGINAL: whitetailtime

LOL. I've actually told my wife the exact same thing.

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:36 am

SIMPLE!!! You need the guns to protect her DIAMONDS..
Or is it you need the guns to protect yourself against her for not buying her enough diamonds... lol
ORIGINAL: cullbuck

ORIGINAL: whitetailtime

LOL. I've actually told my wife the exact same thing.

shaman

Postby shaman » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:06 am

I've been pretty much through the whole cycle.  I got my first one shortly after college.  I got another a few years later.  Two rifles for Kentucky and a shotgun for Ohio were plenty.  The bug hit after I got the farm back in 2001.

The first two were 30-06 and they shot the same ammo, so this time I wanted something different.  I'd always had an eye towards 30-30, so I went and got a Marlin.  The 30-30 didn't impress me, but I liked the Lever action.  I went and got a Savage99 in .308 WIN.  That started a deluge.  Finally, a few years ago, I realized it was getting to be a hassle sighting in all those deer rifles every year, and I throttled back.

There's still ones I want. However, the current crop got me to where I could at least make reasonable decisions on where I wanted to go.

Here are some things I've learned. I've plumbed the depths beyond 40 cal. and it holds no major allure for me anymore.  I thought it would, but it wasn't as much fun as I thought. 35 Whelen is great! However, it does not perform on whitetail any better than 30-06 at the ranges I normally shoot.  Dead is dead.

Smaller and faster than 30-06 is fine.  There's nothing wrong with .270 WIN or .280 Rem.  There's just no reason to go there.  One of these days I'm going to go that route and get into something like 25-06 or 257 Roberts or some such and really plumbs its depths and that will be what I enjoy in my dotage.  I may even try to take a deer with .223 REM .  You never know.

Overall it took me about 10 years to find a combination I really liked, and now my days of massive acquisitions are probably over. I know where I'm going to be hunting for the next 20 years.  I know the cartridges inside and out.  I have the dies, the powders and the bullets in bulk quantities.

What?  Shaman, are getting ready to lay down and die?  No, when I do go back to acquiring, it'll probably be something exotic.  I've thought about going back to round ball and black powder.  A flintlock Kentucky Rifle and probably a Brown Bess are on the bucket list. That will keep me busy.   If I do any long-distance work, it'll be at paper and not on life targets. I've got inside 200 yards well covered. I've got Kentucky whitetails and Kentucky Elk well covered and Ohio and their shotgun-only rules have been covered well for 30 years. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

cullbuck

Postby cullbuck » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:26 am

My latest fetish is a Browning BLR in .358.  I've always wanted a light, extremely potent lever action. 

DEERBOSS

Postby DEERBOSS » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:15 am

ITS LIKE WOMEN AND SHOES.....

AND THERE ISNT MANY  BETTER FEELINGS THAN TAKING THAT NEW RIFLE OUT OF THE BOX AND SHOOTING IT FOR THE FIRST TIME! 

Next

Return to Guns and Ammo