Why do so many of us always want a new rifle?

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
vipermann7

RE: Why do so many of us always want a new rifle?

Postby vipermann7 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:21 am

I'm worse in this way with hunting bows. I don't shoot my rifles often, mainly because I would go broke buying ammunition, so I can shy away from wanting new guns (though I do browse the gun racks and want one). Every year I have to fight off the terrible urge to buy a new bow, simply because it's new. I dont want to get rid of my old bow, I just want another one. Makes no sense. I think it's just in our blood.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:56 am

I used to be like this, but haven't really done anything about it for about 5 years now.  Also, I seem to keep inheriting guns now, so I don't really need to be buying any.

shaman

Postby shaman » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:07 pm

ORIGINAL: cullbuck

My latest fetish is a Browning BLR in .358.  I've always wanted a light, extremely potent lever action. 

.358 WIN is on my short list too.  I'd love to score a Savage 99 in it.  The BLR is a right up there. 

Another  option is to get a Marlin 336 in 35 REM and send it off to a fellow named Nonneman to be reamed out to 356 WIN.  The specs are nearly identical to the 358 WIN. 

I hunt with a 35 Whelen and 200 grainers. Like a lot of my loads, this one is toned down considerably.  Basically I ended up with .358 WIN ballistics coming out of a Remington 7600, only it's a long-action 30-06 cartridge.  It has quite a bit more punch than a 30-06, but the results end up being about the same. 

. . . but here I go again.  It's a disease I tell you!  A disease! 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:29 am

A new gun is like getting a new or different car...its fun to try something new out and see how it feels and works and the looks of a new gun is awesome! [:D] [:D] [;)]

Hey Cullbuck....I have been wanting a new gun,thinking about getting a Savage in a 7mm-08 with the Accu-trigger,I see where You have a 7mm-08 yourself...whats your advice on that caliber Rifle?I have a Remington 30-06,a Browning .243 and a Browning 270 WSM Rifle and was wanting something in between the .243 and 30-06 Rifle.

cullbuck

Postby cullbuck » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:44 am

ORIGINAL: GTOHunter

Hey Cullbuck....I have been wanting a new gun,thinking about getting a Savage in a 7mm-08 with the Accu-trigger,I see where You have a 7mm-08 yourself...whats your advice on that caliber Rifle?I have a Remington 30-06,a Browning .243 and a Browning 270 WSM Rifle and was wanting something in between the .243 and 30-06 Rifle.

I think the 7mm-08 is a great deer caliber. I've always used the Hornady Light Mag bullets in 139 gr SP. I'm not sure they make those anymore but that is all I have experience with. Doesn't kick bad, very accurate, and enough thump to put any whitetail down. The .243 is in the same family as the 7mm-08 and they have similar recoil IMO. It doesn't kick nearly as bad as the 30-06. All the shots I've made with it have been one shot kills on whitetail deer and coyotes. It is a great in-between rifle for the .243 and 30-06. Many factory loads are available in 7mm-08 and can be readily found. Not very expensive either.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:34 pm

Cullbuck....you make one heck of a Salesman! Man,I think You have really helped me make my mind up on getting a 7mm-08 now....Thank You! [;)] [:D]

The Savage I'm looking at getting is the wood stock Rifle in a bolt-action,I checked out the "Managed Recoil" shells from Remington and they are still in 140 grain just a lighter load of powder I guess?I would think they would drop down to a 125 or 130 grain bullet like the Remington managed recoil 30-06 shells I have for my other Rifle?...still I like the idea of a gun with less recoil and still shoots a decent size grain of bullet to knock a Deer down!Hopefully I can post a picture or 2 on here if I get that Rifle?

retiredsailor

Postby retiredsailor » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:31 pm

It agree with others, it is some type of illness many of us suffer from.
Someone once said, "I have many more guns than I need, but not nearly as many as I want." Pretty much sums it up, don't you think?

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:32 pm

You only have too many guns, when you run out of storage space.

ccondray

Postby ccondray » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:31 pm

Love the gun save picture and the sentiment behind it. Thanks for sharing. Can you get that as a desktop background?

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:32 pm

ORIGINAL: ccondray

Love the gun save picture and the sentiment behind it. Thanks for sharing. Can you get that as a desktop background?

I sent you a "PM"

PreviousNext

Return to Guns and Ammo