mechanicals?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
vambo991

mechanicals?

Postby vambo991 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:06 pm

Only been bowhunting for three seasons and I've used nothing but 100 grn muzzy. I'm not complaining cuz they KILL and leave decent blood trails. But I've got a new, faster bow (Marquis) and lighter arrows (Maxima hunter 250) and I'm dying to try a one of these new mechanical broadheads. Anybody used one with real success? Rage? Tru-fire? Grim Reaper? Or should I just stick with what's working?

mag30079

RE: mechanicals?

Postby mag30079 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:04 am

Vambo991

First of all thats an awesome deer in your picture. I use both fixed and mechanicals. I like fixed with feathers, my fixed are magnus buzz cuts, they slice though nicely but if its raining or I'm on foot I use G5 tekken 2 with the blazers vanes. The tekkens blow right through and leave a nice trail. I've heard good thing about the rage but all bad about the grim reapers.

Good luck and happy hunting

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:42 pm

I have always used the cheaper Eastman Outfitter mechanical broadheads with my carbon arrows and they have worked pretty good,but I bought me an enclosed hunting blind with the shoot-thru netting and I went with the fixed "HellRazor" broadheads from New Archery Products (NAP) and they are some really good fixed blades.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:53 pm

I am going to try the Rage 2 blade mechanicals this year ----- maybe . I found out that the Tekan II's are illegal in NY State . They fly great and do the job .

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:37 pm

I'd stick with the fixed blades if they're working for you.  Did you try them with the new setup?  The nice thing about fixed blades is that if you can make them fly true, then you know your bow is in tune.  If you are having issues with how the fixed blades fly, then maybe mechanicals are the way to go, but I've always felt that if it aint broke, then dont fix it.  Good luck whatever you decide on.

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:28 am

i use the grim reapers. the thing i like about mechanicals is you dont have to fuss with sighting in the bow when you put them on. they fly as true as your field tips. i tried fixed blades before and i always had to spend time sighting in my bow again. i think with the fixed blades it depends on how big they are and because the blade sticking in the air will act like a fletching and steer the arrow.

billcurry

Postby billcurry » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:28 pm

Can't go wrong some of the better fixed blades-they have put down millions of deer before mechanicals.  I have shot both types and there are pros and cons to each.  As of last year, I switched and tried Rage 2 blades.  These blades do a wonderful job and make for a quick, ethical harvest and easy track job. In never once had a problem with the tuning and down range performance.  My hunting partner and I harvested 3 deer on film last year with rage broadheads and penetration was never an issue.

I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. Romans 1:16

allthingshunting

Postby allthingshunting » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:15 am

I have used both the rage and rock mountain snypers.  I like both because of their design.  It only makes sense to me that a mechanical broadhead should slide open from the front to the back instead of spring open from the back.  (slide cams - i believe this is the technical term for this type)  I have not searched for newer blades recently, but i am pretty sure these are the only two that are made this way.

I recently have been favoring the rage because of how the blades lock into an o-ring as opposed to being held in place by a rubberband as the snypers are. (This leads to difficulty when placing and removing from quiver.)

RNC

Postby RNC » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:37 am

I use Zwickey 125 grain fixed blade 4 blade eskimos. They take a pounding and keep putting deer down. I use glue on 125 grain field points and the same addaptors as the broadheads. I can switch between heads and not have to change anything. After shooting a broadhead you clean it up, shapren it and you can use it again. Mechanicals have moving parts and even though the chance maybe slim moving parts and break or freeze or whatever else. Slim chance of that happening or not its just not wotrh it to me.

scotman

Postby scotman » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:37 am

ORIGINAL: RNC

I use Zwickey 125 grain fixed blade 4 blade eskimos. They take a pounding and keep putting deer down. I use glue on 125 grain field points and the same addaptors as the broadheads. I can switch between heads and not have to change anything. After shooting a broadhead you clean it up, shapren it and you can use it again. Mechanicals have moving parts and even though the chance maybe slim moving parts and break or freeze or whatever else. Slim chance of that happening or not its just not wotrh it to me.

Yea I use fixed blades as well just for the fact I don't trust mechanicals broadheads to function as they should 100% of the time. Welcome to the forum RNC.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting