What Gun/Guns and Ammo do You Deer Hunt with?

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
Sailfish

RE: What Gun/Guns and Ammo do You Deer Hunt with?

Postby Sailfish » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:08 am

Weatherby .270
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

shadow

Postby shadow » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:37 pm

What I hunt deer with really depends on what I feel like taking and shooting on that paticular hunt/day. I've got no high end guns and shots are normally under 75 yards.
I shot a doe this past season with my remington 870 12 gauge slug gun, also took a buck this past season with a Ruger 44 magnum pistol.
I also have gone out with and taken deer with my Marlin 45/70 lever gun and remington model 7400 30/06. During Muzzleloading season I go with an old CVA 50 caliber. It all depends on how I feel, they all shoot well for me here in the wooded North East.

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:50 pm

no rifles in Illinois. during firearm season, I use Winchester Apex 50 cal ML with 100 grns of Shockeys Gold (fffg) under a 300 grn Hornady SST. I smoked the guy below on opening day (2007), but I was using 110 grns of powder and had not practiced quick off-hand shots.. it was a strong load and the scope smacked my beak, but it was worth every stitch.

My brother uses my 870 and Hornady SST slugs and has had no problem with that combination.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:18 pm

Nice looking Buck you got there Vambo991....! [;)]

My Dad use to shotgun hunt Deer over in Evansville Illinois off Route 3 many years ago!

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:44 pm

There's still real good huntin' all along route 3. a guy from Belleville or Freeburg (little North of where you're talking bout) just arrowed a huge typical down there last season. I think it was a straight 10 pt that dressed at something like 251 lbs and netted over 198 inches. I read an article about it during the season (Belleville News Democrat) but I never saw a picture of it. It's supposed to be a real freak.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:57 pm

Wow...251lbs field dressed,thats a Hog for sure! [;)]

I would love to be able to Bow Hunt in Pike County Illinois,lots of nice Bucks taken from that area!My Uncle and Aunt used to own some nice hunting ground just outside of Evansville but they both passed away several years ago and it was sold. [:(] 

scotman

Postby scotman » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:33 am

ORIGINAL: msbadger

Wow ..am I glad I read these posts...Here in N.Y. it's just recently that we can use rifles in our areas .....Mr B. and I drove to P.A. and found me a  nice remmington lft handed 243 with a monty stock...and I put a nikon pro scope on it...then another hunting sight said 243's are way too small for deer...I shoot a 100 gr bullet and it's dead on at 100yrds
for 28yrs I've been hunting with a 20ga browning with breneke 3in slugs and for muzzle a pursuit lt. break open using 100gr. pellets and 240gr.bullet

I used a 12 ga mossberg 500 for years but like you msbadger they opened rifle season in NY and thinking about get a 30-06 lever action. Good brush gun from what I hear.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:09 pm

MsBadger....don't let anyone fool you about the fire power and accuracy of the .243 Rifle! [&:]

I use to hunt with my Remington 30-06 automatic Rilfe for many years then I switched to a lighter and less recoil gun.I've hunted for the past 4 years with my Browning A-bolt Hunter .243 Rifle with Hornady 100 grain Cutom shells,Leupold 3X9X 40mm scope and I have 2 nice 8-Point Bucks hanging on my wall and have shot several nice size Doe's also and haven't lost a Deer yet!A lot has to do with good shot placement when hunting with a smaller caliber gun.My Daughter also shot a nice Doe during the Youth Season with her Rossi single shot .243 Rifle.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:03 am

i shot a 308 savage. Love the gun and it does the trick on those big ol nasty bucks
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:05 am

i also shoot a black dimond muzzleloader, its a fun season because it seems like no one is ever out there. got the woods to myself :)
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

PreviousNext

Return to Guns and Ammo