What kind of Scents?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
vambo991

RE: What kind of Scents?

Postby vambo991 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:03 pm

Hey MSBadger, are you serious about the "goat pee" thing.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:10 am

Yes I am....The goats bring buck in like crazy....I wasn't sure at first but then got ticked off one year when the goats allowed yotes to drag off two kids...happened to be auction day and I loaded truck up with 3 doe and the buck off to auction we went...that fall with just two doe left ...not as many deer buck around and I didn't score during bow here at house...next season no sightings at all.....bought a new buck and got a 7 pt. then last year saw a bunch of buck and shot an 8pt in bow and a 5 pt in gun......and the deer buck took out three pines and 2 apple trees around the pasture.....to me thats my proof...besides having some very close encounters going to stands in the wee hours before day light...but be careful...I was stalked surrounded by yotes one day....scared hell out of me and the DEC said I was breakfast...thats when I use to keep hunting clothes in the goat barn...Ya I don't do that any more....... 

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:26 am

I'd like to see your story about how #307 worked for you. The WRC sent me a free bottle of #307, so I'm going to try it out for the first time. Another thing I have done is to collect the urine out of a deer I've shot, then mix in some lure with it. This is a good thing to do when you running scent drippers, it really makes the lure go alot further.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

bowhuntersrave

Postby bowhuntersrave » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:45 am

Trails end #307 and tinks 69 Have worked best for me.
www.bowhuntersrave.com
Preserving our bowhunting heritage

Mathews/Bowtech Raffle enter today

scotman

Postby scotman » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:15 am

I have used tinks 69 with moderate success. Welcome to the forum bowhuntersrave.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:15 pm

What's up Ms Badger. I read your story about being attacked... that's incredible. Hey, if you can bottle it and ship it fresh to Illinois... I can almost guarantee that it will sell off the shelf during the season.

RNC

Postby RNC » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:39 am

I like the various waffer scents. There are cover and attractant scents, no spilling and wasting the scent, easy to hang and canbe used as a yardage marker also. I use liquid scent from time to time with limited success. The one liquid I have had good success with is pure vanilla. While it doesnt always bring deer in I have never had a negative reaction to it. I have had bucks rub on the stuff. Does fight over who is going to eat the leaves I put the vanilla on. I have had does and bucks smell it and come in to check it out because they are curious about it. I have also had them smell it at a distance then pay it no more attention. Of all the reactions I have seen to vanilla I have never see a buck, doe or fawn go on alert from smelling vanilla.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:28 am

ORIGINAL: EatDeer
I'd like to try to make a scent trail with th  bf-gland like they talk about on thier website, have you ever tried that? 

Here is what I did one year:

I found an old scrape and a scrape being used daily by a dominant buck in my hunting area. Both about 100 yards apart. The old scrape was barely visible, the only way I found it was by an early season rub against a small tree.
Anyways, I go to the old scrape area, I had to squat down real low (because of multiple overhanging branches) to get in the area, real low. I took my knife and cleared the scrape some, and placed some bfgland on the branches and p'd in the scrape.

I went to the well used scrape (about 5-6' across) and it had one small, overhanging branch at about eye level (I am 6'). I dropped the bfgland on the tip of the branch, took my knife and kicked up some of the scrape and p'd in it and took a leaf, put it in the middle of the scrape, and pushed a stick through it with my hand to keep it still.

Next day:
The tiny, never used, branch overhanging old scrape? Looked like a tank drove through it.
I could smell fresh urine, the scraped was widened, and I could almost walk through the overhanging branches now! He tore it up!

I checked the large scrape, and he kicked up the dirt in the scrape real nice, and the overhanging branch was now broke off above my head!

He went #220 with 10pt's and to the nieghbor [:@] 
He was heading my way hot on a doe, and the doe decided to make a sharp right, he walked into the neighbors field  instead of mine.

I am a firm believer in the product.

I'm gonna attempt making mock scrapes again this year using the product and the same method(s)

"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:30 am

Vambo991....lol which season? Yote or deer?....the thing that I didn't mention was that these same yotes.. 5...had 2 yrs before attacked and killed our childrens two 4-H goats less than 100 ft from our german shepards kennel...the dogs tore their front teeth out trying to get out of the kennel to protect the goats. Then the next day they came back and took out 7 ...#10 pound rock cornish roasting chickens...in a 5ft high enclosed fence....2 of neighbors sheep and 3turkey....DEC estimated them to be between 60-80#'s...the county payed us for the loss but kids were devastated and our daughter was on front stoop sewing up the neck of one chicken when I arrived home from work..it lived for 3 days......As for the deer season....Ever smell a rank "billy goat" I think it's a territory thing that bring in the deer buck...thus the loss of so many trees around the pasture.... and lack of sightings when I sold that buck. 

Previous

Return to General Discussions