Upper Penninsula Hunting Report

DeerCamp

RE: Upper Penninsula Hunting Report

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:55 pm

Let's hope so AlleganBowhunter! Have you been by that property latley, and seen him yourself? How is the UP doing this year as far as rain? The TV has been showing a LOT of rain this summer there. Just wonderin how wet it is up there?
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

JHP230gr45

Postby JHP230gr45 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:09 am

I know our place in Northern Luce was pretty dry when I was up there earlier in the month but we did get one good solid day of rain....
 Our lake was down about 1 ft. or a little more...They could use more rain as far as I'm concerned and it looks like there's more getting ready to pass through later tonight or tomorrow...
 Nothing for deer with more than basket antlers on game camera but the Fall change in the air could stir more activity...seems like there's more does and fawns this year from camera shots...Well up from 2009...

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:27 am

ORIGINAL: DeerCamp

Let's hope so AlleganBowhunter! Have you been by that property latley, and seen him yourself? How is the UP doing this year as far as rain? The TV has been showing a LOT of rain this summer there. Just wonderin how wet it is up there?

A lot has changed this past month.  Rain, rain, and more rain.  Two weeks ago it rained almost 6 inches in some counties in the UP in less than 20 hours.  I took the four wheeler out and bagged it in the river.  There I was floating down the river on my atv.  The water was super cold when it hit my "midsection"  LOL!!!  Anyway, spent the whole day getting it out, drying it out, draining fluids, sucking out water from the carb and air cleaner, ect.... ect... ect..... But, put a new plug in a week later with new fluids and fired right up.  I really wasn't paying attention to how deep it got when I was crossing and wished I would have looked harder at it, but was bird hunting with my dog and trying to keep an eye on him too.  That'll teach me.  Got two grouse though and had a warm partridge with cream of mushroom dinner.  mmmmmm.  Went out to one of my bowstands by a creek and noticed it was flooded a good 30 yards on each side.  Never saw that before since I've been hunting the property for almost 20 years.  Couldn't even get to the stand without waders.  Needless to say I won't be hunting it until November probably.  No deer sign around it anyway as the whole swamp is practically flooded and wildlife is non-existent there right now.  That's whats happening in my neck of the woods.

Anyway, back to the deer.  Lots of nice specimens coming into the planted clover and alfalfa fields this year.  Too many does, but that'll change soon with bowhunting now open.  Sat in stand last weekend and saw plenty, but no bucks.  Wondering if I picked the right spot in the morning, so I moved to another stand and let my father in law's buddy sit in the stand I sat in in the morning.  Needless to say he saw the nice eight that was hanging around and took a 30 yd shot.  He hit front leg all the way and said he heard a loud crack.  The buck limped away with no apparent vitals hit.  Arrow was greasy, but some dark blood.  Blood trail led away about 250 yds and peetered out.  He never got him.  Now I wish I wasn't stubborn and was in that stand instead of him, cause I know I could have nailed that shot broadside.  Anyway, he'll be totally nocturnal now probably and won't see him much I suppose until he heals up some.  What a shame....   Guess that's bowhunting, but kinda irks me a little.  I will now focus on the big ten that we've been catching on camera I guess.  No sighting of him in the last week though.  Which kinda worries me some.  We'll see this weekend if I can put him down.  Got a plan for him.  LOL!!!
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

Buda812

Postby Buda812 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:59 am

Well this is my first post to the Yooper's page (been hunting in the western U.P. for over twenty years now) but I  must say that in less than a week I'll be in the western U.P. doing a little bow hunting before rifle kicks off. The first part of our camp left this past weekend and they are seeing some deer movement.  The weather is still a little warmer than normal (other than last year).  Everyone be safe and good hunting.

Previous

Return to Michigan